Cuts out in the higher RPM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuts out in the higher RPM's

I just rebuild the carbs on my 78. Before the rebuild the bike ran pretty good plenty of power in the mid to high RPM's,but was a little hard to start.

Used the kit I got from Georgefix.
    The tips to the Air mixture screws were broken off in three of the carbs. I did everything I could to get the old tips out (froze them, used penetrating oil and push pin) and nothing worked so I ended up drilling them out with a 1/16 in bit. I don't know if two much air is getting through now or not. Check the plugs after and they are all a nice light tan.

Replaced all the jets and the float valves (seat and needle). I didn't check the float levels.

Synced the carbs and she now starts and purrs like a kitten with just a touch of the button.

The problem is she can't go over 5000 RPM's. She Cuts out spits and sputters as if she is starving for fuel.

Is this because the float level not being re-set?
    What is the best way to set the float level? I don't see a way to check the level like I can with the XJ750.
    Is there something else that I need to look for when I pull the carbs back out?
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

If your bike idles okay, which doesn't sound like, it's not the needles. Best way is to use the end of a caliper with the carbs out and upside down on the bench measured from the carb body where the gasket would sit (with it removed) to the top of the round part of the float. Make sure both sides of each float measure the same, dont rub on any part of the body as they pivot, and that those crap brass float don't have leaks. Do you self a HUGE favor. Put the MIKUNI jets (cleaned) back in and get rid of the kit crap. After proper float heights and jets, we'll go from there.
    Last edited by 81xsproject; 01-13-2011, 02:20 PM.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I didn't check the float levels.
      She Cuts out spits and sputters as if she is starving for fuel.
      Probably not high enough. Float adjustment procedure is in the manual.
      Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by tcoop View Post
        I just rebuild the carbs on my 78. Before the rebuild the bike ran pretty good plenty of power in the mid to high RPM's,but was a little hard to start.

Used the kit I got from Georgefix.
        The tips to the Air mixture screws were broken off in three of the carbs. I did everything I could to get the old tips out (froze them, used penetrating oil and push pin) and nothing worked so I ended up drilling them out with a 1/16 in bit. I don't know if two much air is getting through now or not. Check the plugs after and they are all a nice light tan.

Replaced all the jets and the float valves (seat and needle). I didn't check the float levels.

Synced the carbs and she now starts and purrs like a kitten with just a touch of the button.

The problem is she can't go over 5000 RPM's. She Cuts out spits and sputters as if she is starving for fuel.

Is this because the float level not being re-set?
        What is the best way to set the float level? I don't see a way to check the level like I can with the XJ750.
        Is there something else that I need to look for when I pull the carbs back out?
        The pilot screws don't affect high throttle angles, but float levels definitely do. The only effective way to set the floats for the 78-79 is to remove the carbs, invert them, remove the bowls and measure the height from the gasket flange to the float as it is resting on the float valve.
        Search for any post by member Cataonic Bug, there is a link to free service manual downlaods in his signature. The full details and specs for the procedure are in there. You'll want to re-sync again however.
        '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

I had a similar problem after rebuilding the carbs on my 79, but I'm going to wait and see what happens when you check the float level, as it effects all RPM's.
          Another clue - do you have to use the choke to start the bike when cold? How about when its hot?

I've found on mine when I had the floats set too rich -> a low number measured from the service manual procedure -> a high fuel level in the bowl, that I didn't have to choke it when cold (or maybe just half choke), after leaning the float levels I find that I have to use choke but everything else is improved.

I also found for me personally it was very hard to distinguish between "flooding" at high RPM, and "Starving" at higher RPM, I'm sure I experienced both in all my carb futzing and I'll tell you they both seem on the bike to be almost identical.
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

as the others have said how to check
            the float heights, to see if they are correct
            when riding, have the bike in 4th or 5th gear
            with the revs around 2000rpm, crack the throttle
            wide open, the engine should accept the throttle
            without lag (lean) or bogging down (rich).
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

The floats were off by about 1/8 of an inch. The fuel was getting shut off way to soon.

Snow falling right now so I wont be able to test it out until Saturday.
              Ty

Comment

remember that now that fuel level is higher you'll have to go through the idle tunning steps again...
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

Thanks everyone

A new member BA80 sent me this link

http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm

that helped me understand the carbs a little more (most of you probably know all the workings of the carbs...I'm getting there. A few more time of taking these carbs apart and I might know something).
                  Ty

Comment

I think you have it with the float level, but do be sure to check the idle circuit again, and maybe synch. You did remove the covers for the air/fuel mixture screws? For measurement on my floats, i took an old credit card, and measured and cut very carefully to fit in the right places over both floats at once so i could not only have the right height, but make sure both sides were the same easier.
                    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                    A quick death and an easy one.
                    A pretty girl and an honest one.
                    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

cuts out....

friend here done his carbs ....ran fine till he hit 5000 rpms and after all said and done he had a bad coil....under pressure it was letting him down...replaced his coils and jetted away....
                      windjammer gump
                      bikes now own
                      1981xs1100sh special
                      1971 cb 350
                      mini chopper project
                      bikes use to own
                      1978 750/four..
                      1983kz1100 ltd

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
                        get rid of the kit crap.
                        Could you specify in what way the kits from Georgefix mentioned in the posting are "crap" please?
                        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                          Could you specify in what way the kits from Georgefix mentioned in the posting are "crap" please?
                          Yeah, I'd be interested in any comments on his kits too. In my recent 'wheelin-dealin' I've acquired several complete sets of carbs, but due to mis-handing by the PO, more than a few of the needle jets are bent and will need to be replaced (among other issues). Georgefix seems to be the easiest/most economical source with what has seemed to be good feedback here.... not true?
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I have not used carb kits from Georgefix. Possibly the negative response is due to the jets not being geniune Mikuni, if they are not. Everything I have ordered from Georgefix has been correct for my application, fast, prompt, cheap, and not ripped off on shipping. He has been an exemplary supplier of many types of parts for me and will continue to do so.
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

My understanding was the georgefix kits came with mikuni jets.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X