Dyna coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyna coils

Hi everyone. I realise this subject has been covered in previous thread(s) but, because the info in a thread tends to come in bit by bit in a long string, I'd like to post this one to ask for confirmation that I've understood correctly. So here goes:

If your bike has OEM coils and ballast resistor, with mechanical and vacuum auto advance and you want to change the coils to green 3 ohm Dyna coils, you do the following. Mount the coils on the bike using small L brackets or whatever. Connect the low tension wires from the wiring loom to the Dyna coils. BYPASS the ballast resistor by disconnecting the bullet connectors from it and joining them together. Connect HT leads to each coil. Left coil (orange low tension wire) goes to cylinders 1 and 4 and the right coil (grey low tension wire) goes to cylinders 2 and 3.

And that's it, right? The 3 ohm coils will not damage the TCI unit...... correct?

Or have I missed anything?
    Last edited by James England; 01-12-2011, 08:24 AM.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

you Got it. Lots of Folks running 3 ohm coils w allast resistor byassed and no tci trouble.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Correct. No damage will be caused to the tci.

Mount, rewire, bypass rresistor, and GO!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You got it, James, to the letter.

Damn, you guys type fast
        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Correct. No damage will be caused to the tci.

Mount, rewire, bypass rresistor, and GO!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

How did my response get posted twice, 15 min apart?
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

just to add,
              the dyno coils will have a + and a - side.
              the red/white wires go to the positive side
              and the blue/orange wires go to the neg
              side of the corresponding coil.
              pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots
              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                just to add,
                the dyno coils will have a + and a - side.
                the red/white wires go to the positive side
                and the blue/orange wires go to the neg
                side of the corresponding coil.
                Actually, the dual output Dyna coils (ie with outlets for 2 HT leads) don't have any particular polarity. The low tension wires can go on either of connectors on each coil. The polarity of the low tension wires is only important for the single output version.
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

fair enuff,
                  im running mikesxs coils,
                  they have a neg and pos,
                  thought the dyna's might be the same.
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots
                  slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                  fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                    fair enuff,
                    im running mikesxs coils,
                    they have a neg and pos,
                    thought the dyna's might be the same.
                    No. I appreciate your previous posting though, as it's always best to be sure and you could have saved me blowing up some expensive kit. I was puzzled at first, then found a little leaflet in the box that said it doesn't matter on the twin output Dynas. You're absolutely right though for the single output ones. They have to be connected correctly or they immediately burn out............ better to be safe than sure.

Comment

What's in them that would burn out if connected backwards?

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                        What's in them that would burn out if connected backwards?
                        I don't know..... it's what it says on the leaflet . I always thought it was just a low tension coil and therefore immaterial which way it was connected (must be that on the dual output coils) but for the single output coils, polarity is, according to the blurb very important with risk of damage if incorrectly connected. Maybe there's a diode, resistor, thingy or something in there for the single output coils? Dunno. Good job we aren't running four single output coils in a line.....

Comment

A diode or resistor wouldn't be a factor. In fact, a diode would prevent it from working at all if the polarity was reversed, but it wouldn't burn up. Interesting.

Comment

Coil polarity...

Coil polarity is important on a single-tower coil because you want the high voltage to go the 'right' way. With a dual-tower coil, both sides of the high voltage winding go to plugs, and there's no connection to the low voltage coil. On a single tower coil, both the high and low voltage coils have a common connection; the negative terminal, or ground. If you connect it backwards, the spark voltage flows the 'wrong' way and this connection will fail as it's not designed to take kilovolt voltages.
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                              Coil polarity is important on a single-tower coil because you want the high voltage to go the 'right' way. With a dual-tower coil, both sides of the high voltage winding go to plugs, and there's no connection to the low voltage coil. On a single tower coil, both the high and low voltage coils have a common connection; the negative terminal, or ground. If you connect it backwards, the spark voltage flows the 'wrong' way and this connection will fail as it's not designed to take kilovolt voltages.
                              Ummm, it's still an electrical circuit, and everything MUST flow through the entire path. There is no way for a working electrical circuit to do anything else and still actually work. That said, I suspect it's to do with the fact that the outer casing, frame connection is probably the ground, and that might be a problem, but any coils for our bikes (and most vehicles for that matter) have both sides of the primary coil isolated from ground (at least in a TCI setup) as the voltage comes in one end, and goes to the TCI on the other which alternately makes and breaks a ground connection on that side, so their CAN'T be any interconnection between the primary and secondary there. However, if there is an internal capacitor in there, incorrect polarity COULD cause a problem and blow it if it's an electrolytic, although I would be surprised if there was one.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X