Backward shifter/ rear sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backward shifter/ rear sets

I have been wanting to move my foot pegs back to cover the swingarm mount ( because that's where it feels right to me) and today I found a couple of photos of an XS1100 with what looks like factory ones to me!

They appear to be non-USDM bikes.
    Does anyone know where I can get a set?
    I would rather not build them if I can get a factory set.

Thanks in Advance,
    TECHLINETOM
    1982 XJ1100

Look like these? http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30979&page=3

Those are on a British members' european-spec XS. According to him, these parts aren't hard to find.... over there. Check the UK Ebay; shipping may be a little pricey. Note that the mounts, pegs, shifter/cover, and brake pedal are all different so you'll have a few parts to get.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by TECHLINETOM View Post
      I have been wanting to move my foot pegs back to cover the swingarm mount ( because that's where it feels right to me) and today I found a couple of photos of an XS1100 with what looks like factory ones to me!

They appear to be non-USDM bikes.
      Does anyone know where I can get a set?
      I would rather not build them if I can get a factory set.

Thanks in Advance,
      It feels right to me too! That's how my bike is (I'm the member referred to in the previous post). All the UK ones are like that. If you move the footpegs back, you'd also need the shorter brake lever, as the US ones are longer. We also have a different gear shifter here which I think you'd need because the footpegs would be further back. This means a slightly different gearshifter engine cover (I have all the bits, if you're interested but not the actual footpegs)

If you check the thread I posted re pix of my bike and exhaust, I think I put photos in there at another member's request, of the footpegs and how they mount etc.

Personally, I think the riding position on UK bikes is perfect. In that era, we didn't really go for that US laid-back style of seating position... you know, legs a bit forward, arms high up on longer bars a la Easy Rider style. It sounds like that is exactly what bothers you! On our bikes, you sit straight up with your feet in such a position that you can push yourself up with your legs (if you see what I mean?).

Shipping things to and from the USA is not as expensive as you'd think. I bought loads of spares for my bike from the US.

If you want the shifter and the shifter side casing, you can have them for free and pay just the cost of shipping them to you. I don't need them and they'll sit there forever in my shed probably....
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
        It feels right to me too! That's how my bike is (I'm the member referred to in the previous post). All the UK ones are like that. If you move the footpegs back, you'd also need the shorter brake lever, as the US ones are longer. We also have a different gear shifter here which I think you'd need because the footpegs would be further back. This means a slightly different gearshifter engine cover (I have all the bits, if you're interested but not the actual footpegs)

If you check the thread I posted re pix of my bike and exhaust, I think I put photos in there at another member's request, of the footpegs and how they mount etc.

Personally, I think the riding position on UK bikes is perfect. In that era, we didn't really go for that US laid-back style of seating position... you know, legs a bit forward, arms high up on longer bars a la Easy Rider style. It sounds like that is exactly what bothers you! On our bikes, you sit straight up with your feet in such a position that you can push yourself up with your legs (if you see what I mean?).

Shipping things to and from the USA is not as expensive as you'd think. I bought loads of spares for my bike from the US.

If you want the shifter and the shifter side casing, you can have them for free and pay just the cost of shipping them to you. I don't need them and they'll sit there forever in my shed probably....
        That would be groovy!
        Could you find out the shipping to :
        Deerfield, OHIO
        USA

I probably can't do it because of money.

The biggist thing I need are detailed photos of how everything mounts so I can duplicate it.

I was thinking to mount the pegs even farther back and higher ( right outside the swingarm pivot) and flipping the shifter and shortening it.

I don't think the GP shift pattern would bother me.

I have an extra shifter and brake pedal so I don't mind experimenting.

Thanks again!
        TECHLINETOM
        1982 XJ1100

Comment

Originally posted by TECHLINETOM View Post
          That would be groovy!
          Could you find out the shipping to :
          Deerfield, OHIO
          USA

I probably can't do it because of money.

The biggist thing I need are detailed photos of how everything mounts so I can duplicate it.

Thanks again!
          Looking at DHL International, I would estimate £25 (UK £'s sterling). Maybe less, in fact, because it depends on weight and package volume. Could be as low as £15. If you want the things, you could always Paypal me £25 and I'll refund any excess if it costs less to send.

The UK type footpegs should be very easy to fit because all the other parts look the same... the frame is the same, then engine mounts, alloy rear footrest plates etc. They should just bolt straight in.

I don't know about the other idea of even further back though... especially if cash is an issue
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I thought about flipping my shifter around as well, but figured I would probably forget the shifting pattern at some point switching between my two bikes.

I knocked my 'rearsets' (not sure if I can call them that) together for pretty cheap.

This is a link to my build thread page where there are some pictures of my set up.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30613&page=5

My bike is an XJ1100 so I am not sure if all the mounting points will be the same on an XS1100.

Comment

Here's some footrests:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XS1100-XS-1100...item4aa69ffae7

Comment

Thanks guys that's perfect.

I'll make my "rearsets" just like yours!

Mine is an XJ as well.
                TECHLINETOM
                1982 XJ1100

Comment

Just for reference, here's a shot of what Denny Zander did for a rear brake on Vyger a few years back:

I was sure I had a photo of his shifter side somewhere, but haven't been able to find it yet.
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys!

I'll pay it back with some piston ring info soon!
                    TECHLINETOM
                    1982 XJ1100

Comment

Working...
                    X