Second Gear questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Gear questions

Ok I was told by the PO that this bike had second gear skip. That was a couple of years ago and now I am around to working on this bike. I am wondering if I am thinking wrong or if there is not much wrong with these gears. I would appreciate any input as I thought I was smarter than I apparentley am. Pic's below. I could be looking at the wrong gears as far as I know.

2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Those things look almost brand new! Definitely not undercut, but not bad either! Since you have it out, you might as well do the undercut on them and swap the washer (if you want to), but Those are definitely not very worn. Did it ever skip in 2nd for you?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I don't know if there is any problems with those gear they look good to me but I hope mine look that good when I take mine apart in the new year.
      '79 XS11SF

Comment

I never rode this bike and part of the reason I parted it was because I was told by the PO it had the second gear problem. The thing is I decided to learn how to do the "FIX" in case any of my other bikes suffered from this ailment. So here I was digging into things just to learn and I found stuff I did not expect from a bike with 35,000 on it. If I ever figure out how to edit the pic I will put an arrow to the washer I think is the one to swap and see if I am thinking right.
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

There is a wonderful thread/walkthru to fix it.
          I did mine and it works perfectly now.
          Mine had First and second gear problems.
          Search "Dremel fix" and you will find it.
          TECHLINETOM
          1982 XJ1100

Comment

Hey Ras, those gears do look about brand spanking new, but then the engagement between the two gears is not a lot either. I doubt those gears would show the skipping unless you were seriously beating on it and speed shifting.

I'd go ahead and undercut them myself, since you have them out already.

The washer in question is the one you see directly behind the C clip holding second gear on the countershaft in your last picture. Simply remove it and the gear, then put the washer on, and then the gear (reverse order) followed by the C clip.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Surprisingly little wear will cause the skip.

Hey Ras,

In the second picture, the dog at the bottom, it shows "polishing" wear affect half way down the length of the dog. The 2nd gear slots show a fair amount of rounding right at the edge of the slot, so I could see that they could cause the skipping, since they are SQUARE cut, so just the slightest rounding/sloping of the contact surfaces can cause them to stress slide apart. Others have looked worse because many of them (PO's) would keep using them after they started slipping, possibly holding the shift lever down or up to KEEP it in gear, etc., and so they got/received much more wear. Mine looked similar to yours because I stopped using it as soon as it started acting up, my first gear first, and then 2nd a few months later, so I parked it. Regrettably it sat for 9 years before I got around to finding the cure and then had to do a fairly large RESTORE/RESURRECTION due to the corrosion and rust that occured!

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
              X