Popped my clutch Cherry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popped my clutch Cherry

Just finished my first clutch ever . On the XJ. Bike had last license plates from 98 when I got it last year. Finished my restore and began regular riding in July this year. Noticed with engine off in gear had a clutch drag when rolling around (my first clue) but not noticeable when the engine was running. Also a bit notchy when shifting especially down.

Studied all the tips and went to work with it on the side stand. Someone must have used an impact to put that nut on so after bending cheater pipes on it finally rounded up an impact and jumped right off. Had new EBC disc and springs, sanded and measured and glass plated the steels.

Wow what a difference it made, now it is as smooth as my SF, Just barely blip the lever and slides up and down
    Thanks again to all the folks that contribute, Keep it coming
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Nice, good for another 30 years. What brand of frictions/springs are you using? Oops, you already said. I use the cheap Partsnmore, but EBC springs, nice clutch lever action too.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 12-14-2010, 09:05 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Actually was gonna live with like it was for a while then scored the EBC kit on FleaBay for $30. shipped from a honda dealer that got tired of looking at it.After it arrived it was knawing at me to do it. Done.
      79SF
      XJ11
      78E

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
        Actually was gonna live with like it was for a while then scored the EBC kit on FleaBay for $30. shipped from a honda dealer that got tired of looking at it.After it arrived it was knawing at me to do it. Done.
        It's amazing how all those parts can talk to you every time you walk by them. My ability to ignore them is directly proportional to the level of difficulty in installing them.
        -- Clint
        1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

I had my "never done that" moment like we see with others like stripping carbs. Way past that thank goodness. Now clutch cherry popped. Feels good.
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

Guna be popping that cherry this winter or spring myself. Hopefully it goes well for me as well!

Congrats on losing your clutch virginity!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Dremel cherry is next on the list for that XJ. Soon I hope. Already practiced removal on a junk motor I'm tearing apart. Also have an extra set of gears I can prepare then just go in and get out.
              79SF
              XJ11
              78E

Comment

Working...
              X