Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new 1100 Midnight Special project bike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickdude911 View Post
    To be honest, an old coworker gave it to me for free. He was the only owner and only person to ever drive it. - - -
    Hi Nick,
    unlike those others, I make no claim to be jealous.
    Envious, though, that I will admit to.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

You better go buy a lottery ticket while your luck is holding out!!!!

As to fairing, well....I have found it is much more exciting to ride her nakid than clothed. Just my opion though.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        You better go buy a lottery ticket while your luck is holding out!!!!

As to fairing, well....I have found it is much more exciting to ride her nakid than clothed. Just my opion though.
        Still nice to have as an option though for cold weather riding.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

When I first got mine (without the fairing/windshield), it was all I could do to hold onto the handlebars at highway speeds. I couldn't go more than a mile without my hands and arms feeling like they would tear out of my body! My body felt like a human parachute, and it was just impossible to enjoy the ride at any decent speed. Once I put a windshield on it, I could finally relax and not worry about falling off the back!
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Looks Great. Whats the Vin Number?

Comment

FREE!!!???

C'mon, don't you feel at least a little bit guilty?
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yes it is gold trim and decals on the fairing. I am gonna start on the fuse box this weekend. I flushed out the front and rear master cylinder it was like cottage cheese/Copenhagen chew spit. Pretty nasty. All fluids are changed just waiting on plugs, float bowl and pin so hopefully fire it up within a week. And yes I do feel guilty as hell.
                1980 1100 Midnight Special
                1982 KZ 750 Spectre
                2010 FLHX

Comment

Wow, that is an amazing find. Congratulations!
                  XS1100SG - Obsession

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
                  -- Jack Burton

Comment

Response to Nickdude911's aquisition

Dear Nickdude911,

I'd say Christmas has come early for you! And you MUST have been very very nice! LOL!

I, too, Have a MNS (with 30,000+ miles) and in real good shape...but NOT as nice as yours. I also have two 1980 specials that need a LOT of work to revive.
                    And, as I am new to this game, I look forward to any info and success stories I can find.

I am hoping all goes well for you in your "restoration" efforts.

And thanks to all who contribute, here on the forum, too.

Max Rageous in Lansing.

Comment

Thanks, Im sure I'll be asking tons of questions before this is done.
                      1982 KZ 750 Spectre
                      2010 FLHX

Comment

Originally posted by nickdude911 View Post
                        Yes it is gold trim and decals on the fairing.
                        The decals are factory, but the trim is NOT. The only trim ever offered was in silver (yopu can still get it vrom Vetter directly. I just wanna know how the PO managed to get gold trim!
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Nice Bike and welcome

You came to the right place for info. Nice ride and you can't beat the price. Just remember that nothing is free as you are finding out with the TLC you will need to put into your new bike. Personally, I love riding naked (no windshield or fairing) and these 1100's will move you and a friend with no hesitation. I do recommend installing some good and comfortable hand grips and I love my highway pegs so I can stretch my legs on the long rides. I know I will be riding again as soon as the roads clear and temps go above freezing, I am installing heated grips!
                          Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

I got mine back together. Had to put a new mastercyclinder on it from a 1981. Still having some carb issues. Once I get that fixed I plan on taking it all apart for a good clean polish and paint. Had it since 0 miles now only 14,000. Yours looks in Great shape.
                            vin #000351. looking for one with a lower vin #

Comment

Originally posted by scarecrow View Post
                              I got mine back together. Had to put a new mastercyclinder on it from a 1981.
                              Which Master cylinder did you replace? Are you saying you put a master cylinder from an LH onto your LG? NOT a good idea... The LH has a linked braking system, so the front is not large enough to supply the pressure to operate both front calipers on the LG. The rear on the LH is larger than the LG because it is designed to operate 2 calipers through a LOT more hose length, so you risk locking up the brakes (though this is not as big a deal as the front one).
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Vin

Mine is 003551. Engine and frame are same.
                                1982 KZ 750 Spectre
                                2010 FLHX

Comment

Working...
                                X