Some pix of exhaust and paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some pix of exhaust and paint job

Here's a few pix of the new exhaust I had made and the paint job. The pix don't flatter the paintwork which is, in fact, incredibly glossy and really lovely. The decal set came from www.classicmotorcycledecals.com. They're under 4 coats of 2K lacquer so I won't get that 'duster fluff under the side of the decals' problem that I had before.

The exhaust isn't exactly as per the spec I asked for, in that I wanted a bevel at the end of the silencer cones as per the original system. The exhaust man couldn't find anyone able to do this. So... compromise! The silencers are the correct length (ie ending on a vertical line with the back of the seat fairing). There's a balance pipe underneath. Both stands are retained and access to the oil filter not impaired. There are trims to cover the joins on the silencers, similar to the OEM system. The diameter of the cones is probably slightly less than OEM but this means the rear axle nuts are avoided and no dimple is necessary.

I think he's caught the 'feel' of the original system, so I'm pleased with it. In any event, it's a huge improvement on the rusty old Marshal Deeptone system that was on the bike before and, being stainless, it ought to last for some time. it's also done away with the bare side which had no silencer before (I'm obsessed by symmetry!)

Here's the pix:

Last edited by James England; 12-12-2010, 04:29 PM.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

PS. the link to the decal site doesn't work. However, the seller sells graphics on eBay... user name classicmotorcycledecals

He has loads of excellent decals! According to the spray shop who did my bike, the decals are top quality
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Is the paint black or a dark grey? Metallic?
      I love it though it looks AMAZING!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

It's actually black with a very, very, very light 'dust' of very fine sparkly gold which can make it look extremely dark brown under certain light. In fact, it's the original Yamaha paint specification. The spray man gave me the code of the paint. When I took the parts to him, he asked me what colour I wanted and I said I was trying to get the bike to look standard and said I'd leave it to him. So, I was really pleased when I found he'd used his head and used the original Yamaha paint code.

Glad you like it! The project has been to put the bike back to as near as standard as possible, so I think I've just about succeeded.

The seat badge is gold plated, die cast metal. I found a manufacturer in Australia. He makes vintage bike badges in metal and the quality is A1.

Comment

pics.

could you post apic of the whole bike from 10 ft. nice job i like it. thanks
          79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

Originally posted by rowdyboy321 View Post
            could you post apic of the whole bike from 10 ft. nice job i like it. thanks
            I'm pleased you like it. I'll get the front wheel back on asap. I'm just waiting for an inner tube (no tubeless here in the UK) and then I'll take some pix from a distance, in daylight.....

Comment

James,
              Beautiful bike and restoration. I too have purchased some of the badges from Austrailia and my "Maxim" badges are the best I've come across. Nice bike, really well done!

Comment

Sweet looking exhaust!!! If you don't mind, how many sheckles did it set you back?

Really nice paint also!
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                  James,
                  Beautiful bike and restoration. I too have purchased some of the badges from Austrailia and my "Maxim" badges are the best I've come across. Nice bike, really well done!
                  Hi Jamie. Thanks for that! I hope people don't think I was fishing for compliments by posting the pix! I can't remember the name of the Australian place or I would have mentioned it... can you remember it? Yes, the badge quality is brilliant and much better than the OEM. Apparently all his badges are die-cast metal including side panel badges etc. I think mine cost about £25 including postage. I've seen plastic OEM ones go on eBay for more than that.

I bought the bike last June and only ever intended to replace the original allen bolts with stainless ones. Then it was a huge case of 'mission creep' as one thing led to another. I wouldn't doing another one after a break to let my sore fingers, sore head and sore bank account recover.

I can't ride this one at the moment as it's been -16 degrees here and lots of snow. Also, we put rock salt on the roads to melt the ice and, of course, it destroys ferrous metal and loves to ruin aluminium. So, it'll be next spring before I take the bike out.....

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    Sweet looking exhaust!!! If you don't mind, how many sheckles did it set you back?

Really nice paint also!
                    I don't mind at all! The total cost was £500.... that's UK £'s sterling (not dollars). In May, I ordered a normal steel, chromed system from a place in Holland called BSM. Price £345, so the stainless one wasn't too much more...... Also, BSM are USELESS. After waiting 4 months, I gave up and cancelled the order. The bloke at BSM doesn't respond to e-mails. I phoned Holland and he told me a load of rubbish about the system being ready in two weeks. It never arrived. I spent all summer waiting about because of BSM. The UK agent said they are notorious for not responding to phone calls or e-mails. So, in the end, I found someone here in the UK and decided to spend a bit more and get the stainless system.

There is a system on eBay (Germany) which looks to be a virtual replica of the OEM system. I contacted the seller in November (he does not actually make them...he's like an agent) and the price was £1100! He also said the people make them in a barn and have 3 orders already, so he couldn't supply until March 2011........ I was a bit wary about paying that amount of money in advance too. Also, it would need to be shipped from Germany and it all seemed quite a risk. So I took the bike 60 miles and had the system made by http://www.nrpexhausts.co.uk/index.p...id=1&Itemid=63 Be patient if you visit the site.... it's a bit slow.

The paint was done here: http://www.roadrashpaintwork.com/ It's not a snazzy website but Jon is a very versatile spray man and did a great job for me........ strip to bare metal, removal of 4 little annoying dings (using a thing called a 'pin puller'), respray with 2 coats filler primer (two pack), 4 coats colour, 4 coats lacquer (2 pack) @ £250 all in..... Yes, between the exhaust and the paint, I've spent the cost of a bike but.... it's my only luxury and I just love the XS1100 bikes, so it's worth it, right?
                    Last edited by James England; 12-12-2010, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Well...that is a very nice looking system. That converts to about $790 US. So, I will probably stick to buying used bikes to make up an exhaust.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

I do love it! I am looking to do the exact opposite paint scheme as yours (yellow with black stripes).
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

AWESOME JOB!! Love the paint and exhaust. Everything is so clean. Very nice! Love it.
                          1980 CB750K

Comment

Gorgeous! Well done. What's the story on the shifter?
                            '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

That's gorgeous. Looks like outstanding work from all involved.
                              XS1100SG - Obsession

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
                              -- Jack Burton

Comment

Working...
                              X