Dead starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead starter

This point is probably obvious to many users of the forum but I recall reading posts from someone with non-functioning starter buttons (who jumped the solenoid to get the engine to start).

I've had my bike in bits for a while and finally got it back yesterday, complete with its new stainless steel 4 into 2 exhaust system and bare-metal respray (pix to follow, if anyone's interested). Whilst waiting an interminable 5 weeks for the system to be made, I rebuilt all the carbs with kits from Georgefix, and generally messed about with things...

I'd cleaned all the block connectors on the wiring harness with Deoxit, replaced a few block connectors etc etc. I put the bike back together yesterday and found......it wouldn't start. Lights on at the console, headlamp working...in fact everything except the starter. Then, for no apparent reason, the starter worked and the bike fired up. I warmed up the engine, turned off and tried again. Dead starter.

I found out eventually that it was one of the two block connectors which connect the right handlebar switch assembly to the wiring harness. Although I'd used Deoxit and it was clean, the block connector was slightly loose. Putting the fuel tank back on, I must have caught it and moved it just enough to intermittently break the connection. Also, I think maybe the contacts weren't gripping well after the oxide had been zapped by the Deoxit.

So, maybe a dead starter button could be caused by that block terminal on other people's bikes sometimes....

I'm going to put a new block on later tonight!
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

If its not one thing, its another. Glad ya got her running! And yes I really want to see pics of your exhaust!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
    X