Dynojet stage 1 or 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynojet stage 1 or 3?

XJ11 and I'm finished cleaning the carbs. I've just ordered the dynojet kit and am thinking stage 1 would be the best to start out with, the reason being Dynojet says there may be some driveability issues with stage 3 at lower RPMs & lower MPG with stage 3.

Any thoughts from the collective?

Thanks
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Unless your doing significant engine changes the stage 1 should be adequate.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

It depends on your set up , exhaust , pod filter or stock air box. I would be surprised if you needed the #138 jet in the Dyno kit even with my set up I only needed a #132 main jet.

If your bike is stock than for sure start with the stage 1 of the Dyno Kit #124 and see how everything is. The important thing is to make sure your carb floats are set properly and your mixture setting is right on as that will have a greater affect how your bike will run.

On my other SG I had the Mac turn outs and #124 main was perfect for that set up but by just changing to a "Spaghetti exhaust " I needed to go up to a #128 main and 4 1/2 turns out on my mixture screws ,a half turn more than what Dyno Jet recommends.So changes in exhaust or filter can affect what stage you will use.
      BDF Special
      80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
      Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        Unless your doing significant engine changes the stage 1 should be adequate.
        Changes eh? What about Wiseco 1196 kit, pods and stock exhaust?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
          Changes eh? What about Wiseco 1196 kit, pods and stock exhaust?
          Yup that would qualify
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned the bike came with a 4-1 exhaust, I don't know which kind. I have pods to put on it & have removed the airbox.

I don't plan on any other changes to it engine wise other than regular maintenance (got to check the shims next)

Thanks
            82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

I'm still conflicted & am still interested in input; It's time to come to a final decision on what to do with my carbs. I'm still debating what is the "best" thing for me to do at this point with my XJ1100.

I removed the airbox & have removed all jets and had the carb bank bathed in a ultrasound. I have received the Dynojet kit for this version of the BS34 carbs and have Mikes XS K&N clone pods and now's the time for the big decision...

Here's the thing, I really don't like making permanent modifications to hard to find parts and to put the dynojets in, I will have to do drilling which can not be undone or at least undone easily. Since the bike came with the unbranded 4-1 exhaust and the bike is running really lean, I have to do something. It was such a bugger removing the carbs because of the cramped spaces between the boots and airbox that I really don't want to try and put the carbs back in with the boots & airbox in there. Oh, I am sure I can mod a K&N filter onto the old air filter but again, it was a bugger to get those carbs out with the airbox in & to have to keep on removing & replacing the carbs to rejet with that airbox & boots... ugh...

At the same time I am concerned that moding the carbs with the dynojet kit may end up where the bike is either still running lean or is running too rich & I really don't want to waste gas with a daily rider.

So this is the conflict I'm trying to resolve. The next issue will be replacing the rubber brake lines with SS braided lines but this carb issue is what's my immediate concern.

Comment

hi KA1J,

have you got the dyno jet kit for an xs or for an
                xj specifically, im not sure what the differences are in the carbs,
                but the xs and xj use different size main/pilot jets,

heres a link from the uk site showing the jet sizes for
                various different models

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=501.0

if u bought the dj kit for an xs it might not work the way it should
                on the xj carbs.

if you want to run the pods, u could always jump the mains up
                a cpl of sizes, make sure the float levels are correct, adj the
                mixture screws and u should be good to go.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

If you don't want to drill (i know what you mean, I probably wouldn't want to either) just rejet with mikuni jets. Plenty, intact most people stay with mikuni jets and get their xs/xj tuned in just right. But as with most worthwhile things sometimes it takes some time and you might and most likely will end up pulling the carbs several times to get it right.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I have Dyno Jet kits in both my XS100'S and never regret drilling the slides out. I do remember hesitating when I first drilled the slides but the difference was well worth it.
                    I have the 128 jets in with my "Spaghetti" exhaust with pods with 4 1/4 turns out on the idle screws.
                    On my BDF special I have 132 jets with pods and a 4 into 1 with 3 3/4 turns out on the idle screws. Both these set up's were verified on a Dyno machine to be "spot on"

Drilling out your slides is no big deal there are lots of parts for these carbs and carbs available .If you are like most of us here you will probably have a second set some day for a spare. If you decide you do not like the kit you will have no problem getting your money back selling the carbs or the kit with your slides.

With your set up I would try the #128 jets first and have a look at your plugs . The kit recommends setting the idle screws at 4 turns out that is just a starting point and you will need to find your "sweet spot" more or less.
                    BDF Special
                    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
                      ...Here's the thing, I really don't like making permanent modifications to hard to find parts and to put the dynojets in, I will have to do drilling which can not be undone or at least undone easily...
                      That's the catch with the Dynojet kit. My understanding is the drilling of the slides has to do with throttle response rather than jetting, so you might try not drilling the slides (and retaining the stock slide springs) and see if the bike runs right with just the jets/needles. FWIW, I know people who drilled the slides with a DJ kit and weren't happy with the results but after replacing the slides ($$!) continued to use the DJ jetting. The main improvement the DJ kit offers you is an adjustable needle which the stock XJ lacks.

Drilling the slides gives you quicker throttle response for a 'perceived' power increase but don't actually increase power per se, it just seems like it.
                      Last edited by crazy steve; 12-18-2010, 02:36 PM.
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                      X