different headlight question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different headlight question

Has anyone swapped out their headlight for a different one? I really don't like the looks of the stock ones..... I know I'd need to find a place for all the wireing then too.

Does anyone have any pics of 1100's with a different headlight? What about mounting it? The way the stock ones mount it seems it would be a pain in the rear to mount.... It seems I would need to fab some kinda special mounts for one... Maybe more trouble than it's worth...

OK, just kinda thinking aloud here... I'll shut up now

Dan
    1980 Yamaha XS1100 Eleven Special

just remember theres alot of wireing in these headlight buckets... so if u do change to a differnt headlight ur going o have to find a place for all them wires.....most ppl i know just use a leather bag and tuck them in there
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

working on copying this setup...

This kit is available from www.Aztec8.com

However the cost is $300

I went on Ebay, picked up two HELLA driving lights (with blue lenses...can be swapped for clear if i want to), and picked up two fork brackets for a total of 70 bucks delivered.

I will have to fab some metal brackets to go around the lights...but that should be simple enuf.....

The wires ARE the problem....Im thinking i may try and get some sort of black plastic box...similar to the the stock toolbox or something, to cut down or fit between the back of the lights and the brake splitter or something....some rubber grommets and PRESTO, protected wires!!! will post some photos when i get to working on it....right now doing the SWMBO work with Xmas deco's and ....SHOVELING SNOW

i figured that with this headlight setup, and the digital spedo/tach setup

with new daytona bars, 'Sunshine will have a newer, "Meaner" look!!!!
      Last edited by TomRodgers; 12-08-2010, 08:15 AM. Reason: adding picture...
      '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
      Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
      4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
      Windjammer(wiring issues)
      SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
      New paint/brakes to come!!
      ===============
      '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
      ===============
      '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
      Stock Pilots/125 mains
      Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
      SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
      LED Brake Lite
      Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

click on the address at the end of my signature and it will show pics of my XJ1100. You can eliminate a lot of those wires but it will be time consuming so that is why I went with something with a big enough bucket.
        Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

I don't care much for the square headlamp myself. I salvaged the lamp assembly from a 1980 Honda CB1000, bolted up and plugged right in without any mods, and big enough to hide the wiring.
          Pics in my sig.
          BTW, I still have the original headlamp assy if anyone needs it.
          '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Headlights and instrument head look real good. The acid test of course is if everything works well.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Yeah...EVERYTHING looks/ sounds good in theory....but when you try to bang the $hit out of the square peg into the round hole...well...thats when you just got to get a bigger effing hammer!!! LOL
              '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
              Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
              4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
              Windjammer(wiring issues)
              SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
              New paint/brakes to come!!
              ===============
              '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
              ===============
              '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
              Stock Pilots/125 mains
              Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
              SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
              LED Brake Lite
              Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Working...
              X