XJ1100 rear turn signals/flashers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ1100 rear turn signals/flashers

I know this has been discussed before, but has anyone put the square type flashers on the rear with the shorter stems? It seems like the stock round XJ flashers stick out forever and look really odd. Just wondering if anyone has changed to the square and how it looked and worked out.

Hey there Jamie,

The signal stalks are part of the problem. I put a pair of XJ signals on my rig after I made my saddlebag mounts, put them directly onto the mounts. I found a piece of pipe that would just fit inside the head of the signal, cut it just long enough to be able to weld it to the bag frame, and then slid the signal head over it, clamped it down, so it stuck out a lot less than the OEM stalk.

However, for you putting it on the stock location of an XJ, the stalk provides that large washer type base to secure the rubber grommet and such.

They are round to match the other round features of the XJ, headlight, gauges, etc.. They only take 2 wires, so you should be able to put any square/rectangular type signal on there depending on what type of bulb and flasher relay you are using. If OEM, you'll need one that takes a 27 watt incandescent turn signal bulb. However, many new ones you can now find cheaply are likely LED, and you'll need a different flasher relay for them to work, and you will loose your self cancel feature!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ok, then are the three (3) wire signals for the front and is the third wire for daytime running light feature? If so, how do I run those on the rear? I'll figure out the mounting options later. I would like for the rear lights to be on all the time (for safety and better visibility to the dumb ass behind me).

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
        Ok, then are the three (3) wire signals for the front and is the third wire for daytime running light feature? If so, how do I run those on the rear? I'll figure out the mounting options later. I would like for the rear lights to be on all the time (for safety and better visibility to the dumb ass behind me).
        Yes, the three wire lights have the 'running light'. The only problem with running these on the rear is in most states (if not all), you must have red lenses to use these as tail lights. Amber is only legal for turn sigs at the rear of the vehicle. For red lenses to fit the OEM XS signals, try here:
        http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/turn_lens.htm

As far as connecting the running light, just run it to the taillight wire.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Crazy Steve,
          You are the man! I really appreciate it, and yes, I am planning on running the "red" running lights on the rear. Thanks a bunch.
          Jamie

Comment

Just to avoid confusion for anybody reading this, the Yamaha turn sigs aren't 'two wire' or 'three wire' when you look at them. The 'turn only' units only have one wire coming out of them, while the 'turn/running light' models have two wires. The 'other' wire is ground and this is done through the light housing. If you're attaching these directly to a metal part of the bike, you don't need any additional wires. But if they're mounted with any sort of rubber vibration bushing, you need to attach a ground wire to the metal mounting stud and attach that to the frame or another ground wire.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...