Entering the wiring behind the headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering the wiring behind the headlight

On the XJ11, are there any caveats to removing the headlight to access the wiring behind? I am going to replace aftermarket turn signals with original ones and want to also see how the headlight bulb is connected.

Figured I'd ask before I assumed & did a similar quality repeat of going the wrong way with wrenching the right side mirror stalk with reverse threads...

Thanks

And as to the front turn signals, is there supposed to be a rubber grommet attached where they bolt to the body?
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Just take your time, any wire connections you are unsure of mark male and female ends with colored tape of masking tape and label it. Just study it as you disassemble. If you have printed out a wiring diagram it helps so you understand what each wire is for. Use a high lighter pen to trace the circuits, it helps. Standard color codes don't mean much, example: brown is ground. I have been into the wiring many times as I squished my headlight against a tree last year and had to replace it all, connections included as they were crushed. Hopefully the original connectors are still in there as that will make your job much easier. Have fun and good luck.
    Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

http://www.ringler.us/xs1100/XJ1100ServiceManual.pdf Check out this site.
      Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
        On the XJ11, are there any caveats to removing the headlight to access the wiring behind - - -
        Hi KA1J,
        just that there's far too much in the way of wiring and connectors packed inside there. It takes real skill to re-pack it all so you can get the headlight back into place.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

You could always try the P.C.S. method....i dont recommend...but is an option..... (PUSH CRAM AND SHOVE)
          '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
          Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
          4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
          Windjammer(wiring issues)
          SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
          New paint/brakes to come!!
          ===============
          '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
          ===============
          '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
          Stock Pilots/125 mains
          Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
          SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
          LED Brake Lite
          Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Yeah and the XJ has a boat load more wires than an XS.
            79SF
            XJ11
            78E

Comment

All the above advice is sage and true. What has worked for me is that I try to arrange all the connectors and wires against the perimetry (sides) of the bucket so when it's time to install the headlight they're out of the way. This makes it easier to stuff it all in.
              Good luck, I know where you're coming from. I've got a J myself. Just wait until you have to remove/re-install the carbs!!
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

So much of my day becomes lost whenever Tom posts, just can't seem to tear myself away from that avatar
                '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Thanks all for replies and the really good suggestions.

I do remember having to open the headlight on my XJ650 Maxim and it was a rat's nest in there, I'm sure the XJ11 is overboard with wiring. Seeing as there's aftermarket front turn signals on the XJ11, someone has been in there and I don't know what to expect. (Maybe the PCS method Tom mentioned but done with with a crowbar...) Maybe it was done neatly, I'll keep special attention to the rats nest & take a photo of what's in there when I remove the light so I can refer back to it when yanking my hair out & nothing is fitting...
                  82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                    Good luck, I know where you're coming from. I've got a J myself. Just wait until you have to remove/re-install the carbs!!
                    LOL, as soon as I park the bike for the winter I'm going to be cleaning & rebuilding the carbs, the're really having issues.

Just ordered pods for it from Mike's. Once I get the carbs cleanbed & restored, then the jetting fun begins...

Comment

Have fun with the jetting. As you probably know, your jet selection will not only depend on the pods but the exhaust system you have. There's a little table somewhere in the site that tells you what jets to use under the different conditions. I'm running a Performance something or another (don't remember now) 4X1 exhaust that sounds real nice. But I'm still using the airbox.
                      I had a bugger of an issue getting it to ramp up smoothly from idle. It tended to miss and skip between 1.5k and 2.4k rpms. Actually, it just wasn't as smooth as my G, and this is the range in which you typically go slow as in parking lots, driveways, etc. Bikerphil (who has forgotten more than I know about the XSs) and I tried every which combination of float heights and idle jet adjustments to no avail. Since it was a lean condition, I decided to go to #50 pilot jets........... that took care of it and I never looked back.
                      I took those carbs out and cleaned them more times than I care to remember, my knuckles too, and that was the fix for me.
                      There were naysayers here saying that we did something wrong and that they shouldn't need that size pilot jet, but it worked for me and that's all I care about. So, I guess what I'm saying is don't be afraid to experiment, carb jets and the like are fairly cheap particularly if you have a bike shop closeby that's been in business for a while.

BTW - If you put your location in your info you may find another XSessive nearby that'll be willing to lend a hand.
                      1980G Standard, Restored
                      Kerker 4 - 1
                      850 Rear End Mod
                      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                      Automatic CCT
                      1980GH Special, Restored
                      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

labels

Been there and there is no big problem.

One suggestion. As you take the wiring apart, use a piece of masking tape to label wires to make it easier to remember how they go back together. I also take lots of pictures to help with reassembly.
                        1995 KZ100P
                        Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                        Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Hi KA1j,

I agree with labeling the wires but for me I also take the digital camara out and shoot a bunch of pictures as I take something apart that way you can not only see what was plugged into what but also how it was laying in the head light or wherever.

Blkryno

81 XS1100 Special
                          &( XS1100 Special

Comment

Working...
                          X