Exhaust Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Question

The 79F I just got has stock headers and a pair of turnout mufflers of undetemined make. I also got a set of Special mufflers that are in ok shape, but the PO cut the last baffle out for so reason or another. Has anyone successfully fixed stock mufflers that have had this done to them? The other options are buying a MAC system (4-2) and putting them on my SF and moving my Jardines to my 79F, or just getting a 4-1 MAC setup. With all of the negative comments I have seen posted about the MAC's, I am hesitant to spend my hard earned coin on them. I have also thought about getting Supertrapp slipons to put on the stock headers. Opinions?
    1979XS1100SF
    K&N's and drilled airbox
    Jardine 4in1
    Dunlop Elite 3's
    JBM slide diaphragms
    142.5 main jets
    45 pilot jets
    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
    750/850 FD mod.
    XV 920 Needle Mod.
    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Harley Fat Boy muffs are well made, look good, sound nice and aren't too hard to find. Sportster muffs also work, but they're shorter. The FB ones look nicer because of the longer design.
    1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

just sent you a message Tim.....
      '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
      Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
      4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
      Windjammer(wiring issues)
      SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
      New paint/brakes to come!!
      ===============
      '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
      ===============
      '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
      Stock Pilots/125 mains
      Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
      SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
      LED Brake Lite
      Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

After cutting of off the old rusty mufflers on my '79 SF, I bought some 26" reverse cone mufflers from an Ebay store (Niche Cycle). Had to weld a short piece of 1 3/4" pipe to the end of the front pipes, but all in all they look and sound nice, but more importantly they are level and don't interfere with the saddlebags.
        We'll see how they hold up...

Comment

Exhausts

I am wondering what the downside of the MAC 4-1 is other than the lower quality. Is there a reduction in performance? It's a shame you can't find Jardine's or Kerkers anymore. At least new ones.

Tom, sent you a PM
          1979XS1100SF
          K&N's and drilled airbox
          Jardine 4in1
          Dunlop Elite 3's
          JBM slide diaphragms
          142.5 main jets
          45 pilot jets
          T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
          750/850 FD mod.
          XV 920 Needle Mod.
          Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

The chrome on my Mac 4-1 sucked and started discoloring very quickly. I painted the header black and it's fine now. The can would get very loud at 5K RPM's and I really didn't like the sound of it. I replaced the can with a Sprertrapp tunable one, and now the bike sounds great and has gobs of power. With the Mac header, changing the oil and filter is no problem (no oil cooler) and no issues with the centerstand.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

ill sell yea mine for 60 bux plus shipping... just got to weld them one due to the fell off the collectors..but 7 out of ten for condition. have pics pm me if intrested
              _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
              1980 gs1000g "stock"
              1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
              2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Good post

This is a great post re: lots of different exhausts. Most are not available new but it gives you a good idea of what you're looking at.

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/in...p?topic=5436.0
                1995 KZ100P
                Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by Aches n Pains View Post
                  This is a great post re: lots of different exhausts. Most are not available new but it gives you a good idea of what you're looking at.

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/in...p?topic=5436.0
                  Most aren't available new and then most of the rest just arent available in the US...
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Toolmaker Tim View Post
                    The 79F I just got has stock headers and a pair of turnout mufflers of undetemined make...
                    This is still the slickest mod I've seen for a 'standard' exhaust:http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ler+mod&page=2

Of course, if you're missing the stock mufflers you won't have the crossover, but even a simple tube crossover like the specials have would help with power.
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

If you do end up cutting off the crossover pipe, I would be interested in buying the slip joint. My #3 header pipe needs a fix. Oop's that didn't sound right.
                      Anyway, PM me if you go that way. CZ

Comment

Mikes XS mufflers

Has anyone tryed adapting Mike's XS slipons to a stock header set? Since a single muffler is designed to handle the exhaust volume of a 650cc motor, it would seem that the output of our bikes would be easily handled.

CZ I am not even going to TRY to figure out what that meant.

Tom, sent you a PM
                        1979XS1100SF
                        K&N's and drilled airbox
                        Jardine 4in1
                        Dunlop Elite 3's
                        JBM slide diaphragms
                        142.5 main jets
                        45 pilot jets
                        T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                        750/850 FD mod.
                        XV 920 Needle Mod.