Transmission skip???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission skip???

I have a '79 SF when I accelerate hard I feel a gear skip I was reading another post and now I am worried it is my transmission, I used to think it was my middle drive but now I am not sure. I am pretty capable mechanic after all I brought this bike back to life after buying it from someone who said it had been sitting in his garage for the last 8 years, but not sure if I can manage to fix it on my own and if I can find the parts for it as well.
    '79 XS11SF

If it does it every time you get on it hard, yep, you need to do the 'dremel fix'. And you don't want to wait too long, as you can damage the gears beyond repair. The repair is here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&highlight=fix

Look over/read the directions, make sure you have a manual handy, and with any luck you won't need any parts.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I'd have to ask if it chatters or just slips. And does it do it in all gears or just some, and if all does it do it equally in all gears. Those things all help to determine what the issue is. Frankly it might be the clutch if it's if it's a silent slip.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

haven't tried to see if it does it in all gear but definetly not the clutch... don't have a manual yet but have been looking probably won't do it until spring too cold here now b ut looking for answers and help.
        Last edited by trdriver71; 11-19-2010, 04:23 PM.
        '79 XS11SF

Comment

you can download a manual from member catatonicbug
          82 XJ1100
          Regina,Saskatchewan,
          Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

If it skips in 2nd gear, the dogs and slots on the gears need regrinding. Same with first gear. It's a common problem with these machines. Once you "back cut" the dogs and slots, you shouldn't ever have a problem again. They were never back cut from the factory, causing premature failure.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              If it skips in 2nd gear, the dogs and slots on the gears need regrinding. Same with first gear. It's a common problem with these machines. Once you "back cut" the dogs and slots, you shouldn't ever have a problem again. They were never back cut from the factory, causing premature failure.
              Mine started on 3rd gear. Then, it progressed to 2nd, then 1st. Needless to say, I've spent a LOT of time inside my transmission...
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

This is the link to the fix.
                http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5090
                82 XJ1100
                Regina,Saskatchewan,
                Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

how do you tell if you have gone far enough with the grinding?
                  '79 XS11SF

Comment

It shows in the fix how much you have to grind out.
                    82 XJ1100
                    Regina,Saskatchewan,
                    Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

I guess I need to find a manual for it now. What manual is best?
                      '79 XS11SF

Comment

you can get the manuals from catatonicbug's signature just a few posts up
                        82 XJ1100
                        Regina,Saskatchewan,
                        Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

As others have stated, this sounds alot like the typical 2nd gear issue. When I got my first XS11, I had even read on here about the issue and thought I tested it. But I had not gotten on it hard enough. Once I had ridden it enough to get comfortable with rolling hard on the throttle, I found the 2nd gear issue.

The tech tip is VERY detailed and well documented. At to how much to cut, it just needs to be enough to get rid of the rounded off part up top. Then the angle of the back cut just needs to be 5-10 degrees, not alot. I also use playdough as a "plastigage" to make sure I get all three dogs and slots hitting at once.

HERE is a link to Bugs page with the manuals.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Looks like it is my transmission and not the middle drive like I thought!!!
                            '79 XS11SF

Comment

Working...
                            X