A quick question.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick question.......

Getten ready to pull motor from my 81 1100 H model. I will be replacing the trans gears: primary and secondary. Will I need to tear the motor completely down or can I split the cases without removing the piston jugs and top end?
    At this time:
    1985 Goldwing Innr.
    1976 cb 750 cafe racer
    2007 vtx 1300
    81 sx 1100 s h
    81 sx 400 special

You can turn the engine upside down and pull the bottom case off without pulling the head or the jugs. There are some bolts that get accessed from the top though, so you will need to pull those before you flip the engine.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

All the bolts holes are numbered, so make sure you get all of them out before prying apart the cases. Don't forget about the one under the engine breather housing.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

IF you want to pull all the gears then you must slit the case as I under stand, but do you need to pull them all?
        79SF
        XJ11
        78E

Comment

Eng case

Thanks guys for the great info...just what I needed. Yes both primary and secondary gears have broken teeth. Should get started soon. Laminate flooring came first per BOSS.
          At this time:
          1985 Goldwing Innr.
          1976 cb 750 cafe racer
          2007 vtx 1300
          81 sx 1100 s h
          81 sx 400 special

Comment

Another thing to add to what bikerphil said. The numbered bolts have to be tightened in a certain order to make sure the cases iron out flat at the mating surface. Also, there are a few certain areas inside the cases that need sealing to prevent possible internal oil leak from the oiling system. I would spring for a tube of Yamabond #4 since that is what was put in at the factory to seal the mating surfaces.

IMHO, I recommend you get a manual to see the procedure.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Maybe you should ask if anyone has a good motor you could just swap in. Even if it cost some it might be a lot quicker.
              79SF
              XJ11
              78E

Comment

eng case

That's an ides Sferin....but my luck I would get one in just as bad a shape. And pay all that shipping!
                At this time:
                1985 Goldwing Innr.
                1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                2007 vtx 1300
                81 sx 1100 s h
                81 sx 400 special

Comment

Working...
                X