Pet cocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet cocks

Does any one know where I can find rebuild kits for petcocks and fuel pump on my '82 XJ1100?

For rebuild kits you can try Georgefix on ebay. He has good parts and good service.

I was not aware of there being a fuel pump on the XJ1100.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Its a very small vacuum fuel pump. All the lines from the fuel tank go there and then to the carbs. My fuel constantly feeds into carbs and I end up with a nice puddle on the floor in my garage

Comment

Ahhh...I did not recall they still had the OCty on the XJ. That is not a fuel pump....it is a vacuum controlled fuel valve. The fuel lines go from the petcocks to that valve and it SHOULD shut off fuel flow unless the engine is running, then the engine vacuum opens the valve and fuel flows. Sounds like yours is not stopping the fuel flow.

However, these are just lines of defense to protect and hide the real culprit. The float needle valves. Inside the float bowl is of course the floats. They regulate fuel level in the carb float bowls. They do so by pushing against a plunger with a nice viton covered pointed tip that seals against the coned seat it rides in. Well, it is supposed to anyway. However, whent he carbs get dirty or gas is left to sit in them for a long period of time without the bike running. Small bits get in between them and do not let the valve seal correctly. Then, it just continues to let fuel in the bowl regardless of level. If this valve works correctly, the petcocks and the OCTY valve can all fail and gas still stops when it reaches the right level. So you need to address this issue as it will not only show when parked but also effect things when running.

Now, if this is something that just happened once, you can try running the bike a bit and see if it goes away. Even with brand new valves, some times a small bit of crud makes its way to them and can block them open until you run the bike again. I would suggest in line fuel filters if this happens.

Also, before you run the engine, check the oil for gas in there. It can just as easy run into the cylinders and down into the crankcase. Then the oil is thinned out and will not properly lubricate your parts and components like ohhh...rod bearings. Which can cause much bigger problems.

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Ok. I had problems with the carbs and took them apart and cleaned everything. I had no low end power. That solved the problem there. Now i have the gas on the floor issue. I'm going to pull them back off and check the floats and all. Thanks for the info. Will let ya'll know how it works out

Comment

I have two line that come from the petcocks to that fuel valve. One feeds fuel and the other is a return correct? Do you know which one is which? The person I got the bike from didn't know much about it

Comment

If you need the rebuild kit for the petcocks and the octy, here is one. If the octy IS working and the float needles are not closing properly, you should get a small amount of fuel leaking out (just what is in the lines). If the octy is NOT working and the float needles are not sealing, you may find a LOT more than that on the ground.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by robquintana View Post
                I have two line that come from the petcocks to that fuel valve. One feeds fuel and the other is a return correct? Do you know which one is which? The person I got the bike from didn't know much about it
                There are a total of five lines to that valve. The petcoks feed the two inner ones, the two outer ones go to the carbs fuel Ts. The fifth is the vacuum line to the no 2 carb boot.

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Each petcock has 2 lines coming it. The rearward port on each petcock connects to the Inner (#'s 2&3) ports on the Octy. The outer (#'s 1&4) ports on the Octy connect to a Tee that comes from the forward ports on the petcocks, then feeds the fuel inlets on the carbs. There should be a diagram on a sticker on the underside of the seat.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

When you disassembled and cleaned your carbs, did you replace the rubber O-rings under the float valves? There is a diagram for the octy in this thread...

http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...g-diagram.html
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                      Ahhh...I did not recall they still had the OCty on the XJ. That is not a fuel pump....it is a vacuum controlled fuel valve. The fuel lines go from the petcocks to that valve and it SHOULD shut off fuel flow unless the engine is running, then the engine vacuum opens the valve and fuel flows. Sounds like yours is not stopping the fuel flow.

However, these are just lines of defense to protect and hide the real culprit. The float needle valves. Inside the float bowl is of course the floats. They regulate fuel level in the carb float bowls. They do so by pushing against a plunger with a nice viton covered pointed tip that seals against the coned seat it rides in. Well, it is supposed to anyway. However, whent he carbs get dirty or gas is left to sit in them for a long period of time without the bike running. Small bits get in between them and do not let the valve seal correctly. Then, it just continues to let fuel in the bowl regardless of level. If this valve works correctly, the petcocks and the OCTY valve can all fail and gas still stops when it reaches the right level. So you need to address this issue as it will not only show when parked but also effect things when running.

Now, if this is something that just happened once, you can try running the bike a bit and see if it goes away. Even with brand new valves, some times a small bit of crud makes its way to them and can block them open until you run the bike again. I would suggest in line fuel filters if this happens.

Also, before you run the engine, check the oil for gas in there. It can just as easy run into the cylinders and down into the crankcase. Then the oil is thinned out and will not properly lubricate your parts and components like ohhh...rod bearings. Which can cause much bigger problems.
                      Your octi-valve may not be bad, Make sure you have the fuel lines from the petcock running to the correct location the octi-valve...The guy who sold me his had them on wrong and told me that it leaked fuel when left in the on possition...I did some research on replacement of this octi-valve, removal of this octi-valve and set up of the octi-valve, I swapped the two fuel lines going to the petcock and found that the leaky problem went away...

Simple fix if that is the problem...
                      Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
                      Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

Alternative

As an alternative, you can just remove the "octy" and remember to turn off the petcocks. The carbs shouldn't leak but without the vacuum feed it is always best to turn off the petcocks. I know a lot of guys frown on this solution but it works great for me.

You can also replace the petcocks almost cheaper than rebuilding the old ones. Be sure to get 90 degree petcocks so they clear the whatever air breathing method you are using (pods or the original air box). You can go first cabin with Pingle petcocks or a $14 petcock can be found at http://www.kcint2.com/product/50-250...-DAVIDSON.html. You will also need two universal NPT adapter plates that can be had at partsnmore ($6.00 each) and you will have to do a little filing on the tank opening to accept the larger petcock. Note that the petcock on the right side will have to be turned a bit so the right angle pipe points more towards the rear - a little awkward but nothing big.

On my '79 I run pods. Plenty of room to run both petcocks to a brass "X" fitting and then into the carbs. This way both sides of the tank feed both carbs. You can get the "X" at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brass...ssoriesQ5fGear for $6.00.

All in, this approach is about $50 plus shipping and eliminates a lot of tangle.

I still shut off the petcocks when I park the bike for any length of time as you should with any gravity fed bike.

Good luck,

Doug
                        1995 KZ100P
                        Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                        Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Working...
                        X