Hard Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Starting

I'm having some difficultly in starting my 1100 when it's cold. I place the bike in neutral, pull in the clutch, choke it, no throttle and then turn it over. If it starts, it runs for a couple of seconds and then dies. I then have to crank and crank it and then it lets go with a huge back fire and normally after that, after a couple of cranks it will start. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pull the carbs and clean 'em. Pay special attention to the little jets down inside the float bowls. That's where the fuel comes from for the choke/enricher. One other thing you can do is to put the petcocks on Prime for a few seconds prior to starting, to be sure the bowls are full of fuel.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

As Bug stated, if you do not know the condition of the bowl jets, cleaning those would defintiely be a good step to take.

After it warms up does it run good?
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Hard Starting

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        As Bug stated, if you do not know the condition of the bowl jets, cleaning those would defintiely be a good step to take.

After it warms up does it run good?
        Once it's running it runs great. Some one also told me that it could be because of a bad battery.

Comment

I would certainly not rule out the battery. If it slowly discharges and then barely has enough juice to start the bike, it could be getting charged back up after it runs for a bit and working ok then. You can check the volts at the battery before you start the bike and see what you have to verify if that is the case.

I'd still say the most likely culprit is going to be the enrichment circuit, which typicallly, those bowl jets being plugged are the cause.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

When is the last time you cleaned your plugs? Mine used to have the annoying tendency to foul plugs, and it would get really hard to start. I used to carry a little wire brush with me all the time. If it started acting up, I'd pull the plugs and clean them and she'd fire right up. Course my carbs were already clean, so if yours aren't you might want to follow bug's advice.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
            X