Klang... Vrooooommmmmmmmm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klang... Vrooooommmmmmmmm

So I'm driving back from the gig at 1AM on the XJ11, have my mandolin in a knapsack kind of holder on my back & I'm doing 45 and suddenly I'm driving a drag bike, the muffler fell off... This is (was) a pristine muffler & is still intact/useable woth the only scratches confined to one part of the muffler and no belled ends where it mushroomed on impact.

I finally made it home & luckily missed the neighborhood cop that usually is waiting to give out tickets & I made it home with the worst part being I woke the entire neighborhood...

It looks to be a MAC 4-1 and the muffler fell off, the rest is fine. The clamp around the inlet is still there but the bolt/nut that holds the muffler in place is missing. I didn't want to see if I could find it, it was just too loud & asking for problems if I were driving back & forth looking for a bolt so I just went home.

Any idea what size bolt that's usually there holding the muffler to the frame? I need to go out & find one in the cage but don't know which size is standard that I can get at the hardware store.

Thanks!
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Seems to me most of those clamps come with one side having a threaded nut of sorts welded to iit, or part of it. I'd measure the diam of the hole, then see if you can count how many threads are in there and how wide it is, giving you threads per inch or mm.

IF no threaded side is there, then just measure the diameter of the holes and then its the "Price is Right Showcase" ...get as close as you can without going over. And whatever nut fits the bolt, only I'd get at least a good lock washer to go with it, and use some red locktite on it.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

That's ALMOST exactly what happen to me. Except I was doing 70 and my can now looks like garbage.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
      X