No announcement yet.

Gremlins!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok so my latest gremlin which i know is causing problems with my tail light and suspect it is responsible for my headlight not working is the some sort of lamp relay. a blue and yellow wire from the key ignition switch goes to it and if i unplug it the tail light goes out. do any one of you know what it's for? and seeing as i am planning on switching over to HIDs will i need it.
    79 XS1100 Special
    Kerker 4-1, Pods, BS34 old style carbs, plastic floats, 147.5 mains, progressive rear suspension (restoring)

Comment

Sorry I can't help with your current problem but let us know when you do go HID and where you get them. I am always looking and Linda want to switch before next season.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by the108penguins View Post
        ok so my latest gremlin which i know is causing problems with my tail light and suspect it is responsible for my headlight not working is the some sort of lamp relay. a blue and yellow wire from the key ignition switch goes to it and if i unplug it the tail light goes out. do any one of you know what it's for? and seeing as i am planning on switching over to HIDs will i need it.
        Well, if this relay also has a black, red/black, yellow, tan, and blue wire connected to it, it's a 'light checker unit' according to the Clymer wiring diagram. But when I attempted to trace all the wires on the diagram, some connections don't make sense, so maybe getting a look at a OEM manual may be a good idea. The Clymer is silent on what this is relay is, but if I had to guess I'd say it's the headlight relay (the one that keep the headlight off until the motor starts). The other thing of note is this particular relay seems to be fitted only to the '79 Special (again, if the Clymer is to be believed). All the other XS models have a similar relay, but theirs has two fewer wires connected.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

So does anyone know what the Light Checker unit does and can it be removed and the connections shorted if i needed to? also will i need it if i move over to HID?

Thanks everyone for this forum.
          79 XS1100 Special
          Kerker 4-1, Pods, BS34 old style carbs, plastic floats, 147.5 mains, progressive rear suspension (restoring)

Comment

By the light checker I believe your referring to the RLU or Reserve Lighting Unit. There is a tech tip on how to bypass it. No changes needed to HID or anything like that.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Nope, that's not it. The RLU is shown as a separate item on the diagram. This 'light checker' (and that's how it's labeled) only appears on the '79 Special diagram, so I suspect you would need a factory manual for that model to figure out what this does...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The light checker (79SF only) warns you if a tail/brake light is out, so I'm pretty sure it won't interfere with your HID kit.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

ok great, then it's on to switching over to HID LIGHTING!!!! "and god said let there be light"
                  79 XS1100 Special

Comment

Interested to see what you get and how it turns out. Considering this mod for Banshee. Not sure what kits are still out there that will work. I keep seeing the MC kits for more than the car kits of the same setup it seems. So pay more to get one setup or less for two?
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

I got a HID kit (35 watt, 6000K Diamond White) single bulb, from this outfit
                      Search eBay for this seller:
                      XenonAutoHaus (PL)
                      PO BOX 2662
                      La Puente, CA 91746.
                      They didn't list a single bulb set up, so I shot 'em an email and they gave me the quote. 3 days later my kit arrived.

They shipped promptly, $35 for the kit, it's a no cut, no splice install. The HID relay and the RLU conflict, so I used a 1/4" female spade clip to span between two poles on the RLU plug and everything is happy. RLU is out of the system, but still on the bike. Should the need arise, I can convert back to all stock.
                      1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

I can't seen to find that seller. Wish I could, maybe I am doing something wrong.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Here is the email addy for the Paypal payment I sent. Shoot a note here and see what they can do for you. pliao33@hotmail.com I hope this works.
                          1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

I had a lot of headlite trouble with my '78 when I first got it. I replaced that little relay twice, & redid all the connectors. Still screwed up.

I finally bypassed that relay with a toggle switch & it's been fine ever since. I
                            turn the headlite on & off with the toggle, leaving it off for starting or working on the wiring with switch on.
                            Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                            stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

CORRECTION! It was the '80 SG that happened with..Sorry about that
                              Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                              stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Working...
                              X