Rebuilding Koni Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding Koni Shocks

Ok, I picked up a set of Koni shocks with adjustable rebound damping for the XS11 off Ebay for $15. I'd like to change the oil in them as they feel a bit mushy. The seals are in good condition, but I'm trying to figure out how to get them open. It looks like a special tool is needed to unthread the cap, similar to a tool used for changing a grinding disk. I don't want to bugger up the caps with a vise grip, so does anyone know if a tool is available like this or some advise on how to make one. Center to center, the holes are 0.90" (23mm) apart. I'd appreciate any help.

2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Ok, I think I figured this out. Went to Ace and bought some of those hardened dowl pins and fabricated my own tool...

Got the shock apart and measured the volume of oil that came out, 75cc's.

Next, I checked the viscosity of the oil with a painter's funnel, timed at 12 seconds, which appears to be 5W oil...

Gonna put it all back together with 80cc's of 10W suspension fluid and we'll see how it goes.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

Comment

Keeping Busy...

Keeping busy today??? Love those projects..
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        ...It looks like a special tool is needed to unthread the cap, similar to a tool used for changing a grinding disk. I don't want to bugger up the caps with a vise grip, so does anyone know if a tool is available like this or some advise on how to make one...
        HF sells an adjustable one; they call it a 'pin wrench'....
        http://www.harborfreight.com/adjusta...nch-36554.html
        Great tool, I use mine all the time; works better than the 'supplied' wrenches that come with grinders, and fits any brand/model.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          HF sells an adjustable one; they call it a 'pin wrench'....
          http://www.harborfreight.com/adjusta...nch-36554.html
          Great tool, I use mine all the time; works better than the 'supplied' wrenches that come with grinders, and fits any brand/model.
          Yep, that's what I need Steve, thanks for that link. Think I'll pick one up.

Ok, I got one shock back together with 10W and it feels much better with the new oil. Rebuildable shocks are king.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

I finished refreshing both shocks with new oil, took them for a test ride, and I must say 100% improvement. Much better damping with the thicker oil.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Stuff you learn here is priceless

Another good one Phil
              XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
              http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
              650SF
              http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
              XS1100SG Project bike
              http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

Thanks, Rick. Anything to improve the XS a bit. I've noticed some real quality shocks can be found on ebay lately for cheap, if you know what you're looking for. A lot of them are listed by dismantlers as XS11 stock shocks, they just don't know what they have. I've recently bought a set of S&W street strokers for $20 and the Koni's for $15. It's amazing how setting up the rear suspension correctly contributes to how the front reacts.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

Check the top-out bumper inside.....those get old and disintegrate clogging up the piston.

--Nick

Comment

Working...
                  X