Frame Differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Differences?

Does anybody know what all the differences are between the standard and special frames? I know the sidecover mounts changed as well as some other minor bracketry, but is there any major items that would seriously impede converting a '80 special frame to '78-79 'specs'?

I've been looking for a 'titled' frame (needless to say, for 'cheap') and have run into a SG model. But I have all '78-79 parts to put on it...

Worse case, I may just cut the neck (with it's ID number) off the '80 and weld it to the '79 untitled standard frame I have. But if it's just smaller bits to 'move', I'd rather do that.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

The way I understand it is that the structural parts are identical for ALL the XS11's. Like you said, there are some funny bracketry things that are different, but that's it.

Why not just do the work to get your frame titled?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I have a 78E frame here that you could have for free but the shipping would be high I am sure.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        Why not just do the work to get your frame titled?
        Because the cost of all the legal mumbo-jumbo the state requires to recover a 'lost' title (particularly in this case, where the guy I bought the bike from doesn't know who the true owner is as the bike was left behind when some renters moved in the middle of the night) can easily equal or exceed the cost of just finding a cheap parts bike with a title, not to mention the time investment.

Thanks for offer Rasputin, but I'm sure the shipping and 'titling' across an international border wouldn't be too cheap!!
        Last edited by crazy steve; 11-11-2010, 01:38 PM.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

If you are going to go special, with the round headlight, then make sure you have a Special triple tree. There is a difference between the Standard, and the Special. The headlight stay is unusable, and you end up an inch shorter on the overall length of the bike. Took me a year to figur out what had been done to mine.
          1980 XS1100LG Midnight
          1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
          A quick death and an easy one.
          A pretty girl and an honest one.
          A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
            If you are going to go special, with the round headlight, then make sure you have a Special triple tree. There is a difference between the Standard, and the Special. The headlight stay is unusable, and you end up an inch shorter on the overall length of the bike. Took me a year to figure out what had been done to mine.
            Hi Newbie,
            to be clear on this, the frames are identical except for monor bracketry.
            What you have to do is swap the forks as a complete set.
            Standard 'trees are longer and Standard fork sliders mount the wheel underneath.
            Special 'trees are shorter and Special fork sliders mount the wheel on the front.
            From the factory, Standards and Specials have the same wheelbase and the same 5 and a bit inches of trail.
            Mixing 'trees and sliders can give you less trail one way and more trail the other and that will definitely alter the way the steering feels.
            FWIW I deliberately swapped Standard 'trees into my Special to make the steering lighter for sidecar use.
            The headlight stay will work OK if it's cut'n'welded just right.
            Last edited by fredintoon; 11-11-2010, 11:38 PM.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The headlight stay is why i purchased a Special tree. To get it back to stock. I don't want something cobbled up just to work, i want it the way it should be. Trying to put everything back the way it should be. Only need mirrors, and handlebars to complete being stock 100%
              1980 XS1100LG Midnight
              1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
              A quick death and an easy one.
              A pretty girl and an honest one.
              A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
                The headlight stay is why i purchased a Special tree. To get it back to stock. I don't want something cobbled up just to work, i want it the way it should be. Trying to put everything back the way it should be. Only need mirrors, and handlebars to complete being stock 100%
                Hi Newbie,
                what I read into this is that the dreaded PO put Standard 'trees on your Midnight Special?
                Or as Special forks + Standard 'trees will make the bike longer rather than shorter WTF did he do?
                Good that you are restoring to stock but your motivation to re-installing Special 'trees should have been to get back to the proper steering trail.
                BTW, a neatly cleaned up weld on the headlight stay should hardly notice and who looks under there anyway?
                Last edited by fredintoon; 11-12-2010, 10:33 AM.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Well, I figured out the differences.... I'm going to swap necks, it'll be easier.

Besides the different mounts for the sidecovers, the seat mounts are slightly different, the rear frame ends are a bunch different, and the deal-breaker, the rear brake pedal/footpeg/muffler mounting points are different. Yamaha saw fit to move one of the frame mounts for the aluminum brackets by about 1/4" between the special and the standard (WTF?)...

Rather than mod ten things, I'll just swap one... the neck.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...