Carb issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb issues

I am working on a set of 81LH carbs which exhibit signs of low/idle circuit problems.
    The three tiny holes in the carb throat.
    I should be able to see spray from carb cleaner come out all three right? I can only get it to come out of one of the three holes on all four carbs. Is there a way to get them all open without soaking them? They are all part of the same circuit so I should get spray from all three tiny holes, at least in my mind (small as it is). I have tried blowing compressed air through it to no avail (bowls off), I just get it to come from one hole. Is there something simple I am missing here or is it possible that all the carbs have plugged two of the three holes in all four carbs at the same time?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Hey Ras, I would need to look up the diagram TC posted some time ago. I might suggest finding a piece of guitar string, for the high E on a six string, and try putting that through the holes if it is small enough.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

IIRC, one of the holes is fuel enricher, so the choke lever will have to be pulled out for flow. Diagram...

2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The guitar string is a good idea. I wonder where I might find one on Remembrance day, that could be a little tough. I did try pulling the choke lever as well but it made no difference, so I think I will have to poke it with something to get it cleared. Thanks guys
        2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

hi ras,
          did u have the butterflys open when u sprayed
          carb cleaner?
          id close off the mixture screw, open the
          butterflys, put ur finger over the pilot jet tower and spray carb cleaner
          into the air jet, therell be no where for the cleaner to go except for
          those holes or if there blocked, back at u thru the air jet.

those holes are tiny, ive untwisted guage wire and
          poked it into the holes with good results.

not sure where that diagram came from but its not correct,
          fuel only comes out of those tiny holes as the butterflys open,
          when the butterflys are closed, as in starting with the choke,
          only fuel comes out of the mixture screw hole and partially out of
          the hole closest to the butterfly, as its slightly open at idle.

when the enricher is on, the xtra fuel comes out of the larger
          hole on the inside right of the carby.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Lake trout

steel line works good too. If you your not a guitar player. Being from alberta you must have fishin equipment.
            mack
            79 XS 1100 SF Special
            HERMES
            original owner
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
            SPICA
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
            IOTA
            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
            Frankford, Ont, Canada
            613-398-6186

Comment

I use one strand from a wire wheel/brush. break it off, then hold it with needlenose pliers or forceps to poke it in the holes and wiggle it around. You should definitely be getting juice from all 3 holes though.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                The guitar string is a good idea. I wonder where I might find one on Remembrance day, that could be a little tough. - - -
                Hi Ras,
                go mug a hippie? Or pull a strand from a wire brush.
                Those holes are better accessed for solvent by removing the brass enrichening circuit plunger and the adjuster needle.
                Spray into those passages until the solvent comes out of all 3 holes.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Good suggestions one and all. I will find something around here today after the services are over with. I did have the butterflies propped open so I could be sure of where the carb spray was coming from. I did open and close the choke to see if that helped. I also covered the pilot jet hole while I sprayed to see if that would help anything. I did not close the idle screw down and that may help with my next attempt. No I am not a fisherman, and the hippies around here are all down in the crack houses, where I am sure not going. But one way or another I will be getting fuel from all three holes before I am done!
                  2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

not to hijak the thread...but i have a question regarding the bowls..... i didnt think of it much when i was cleaning it, cuz i wanted to get it running enuf to see what may or may not need to be worked on, but on ONE of the 4 bowls, there is a clogged passage. Tiny hole from just inside the gasket ring down the side of the bowl, and pops out just in the 'curve' of the bowl.... what exactly is that passage for?? I havent noticed any sluggish-ness or fouled/lean plugs...idles fine...revs fine.... is it something i should tackle this winter????
                    '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                    Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                    4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                    Windjammer(wiring issues)
                    SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                    New paint/brakes to come!!
                    ===============
                    '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                    ===============
                    '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                    Stock Pilots/125 mains
                    Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                    SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                    LED Brake Lite
                    Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Originally posted by TomRodgers View Post
                      not to hijak the thread...but i have a question regarding the bowls..... i didnt think of it much when i was cleaning it, cuz i wanted to get it running enuf to see what may or may not need to be worked on, but on ONE of the 4 bowls, there is a clogged passage. Tiny hole from just inside the gasket ring down the side of the bowl, and pops out just in the 'curve' of the bowl.... what exactly is that passage for?? I havent noticed any sluggish-ness or fouled/lean plugs...idles fine...revs fine.... is it something i should tackle this winter????
                      Definitely clean that jet out. It's the beginning of the enricher circuit. When you pull the choke lever, that is where the added fuel comes from. If it's blocked, the enricher/choke can't do it's job. This is especially an issue in colder weather.

No need wait till winter though - Just pull the carbs, drop the bowls and use a small wire to ream out the little jet in the bowls. a shot of carb cleaner and some compressed air should then blast it out. Put it back together, and you're all set. Should take a couple hours or less, depending on how efficient you are at removing/installing carbs.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                        Definitely clean that jet out. It's the beginning of the enricher circuit. When you pull the choke lever, that is where the added fuel comes from. If it's blocked, the enricher/choke can't do it's job. This is especially an issue in colder weather.

No need wait till winter though - Just pull the carbs, drop the bowls and use a small wire to ream out the little jet in the bowls. a shot of carb cleaner and some compressed air should then blast it out. Put it back together, and you're all set. Should take a couple hours or less, depending on how efficient you are at removing/installing carbs.
                        If you use some socket head cap screws (allen wrench type) to reinstall the bowls you'll be able to take the bowls off without removing the carbs.
                        US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
                        1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
                        1985 Super Glide
                        2012 Super Glide

Comment

I was thinking the same thing Chopper. I actually did just that a few weeks ago, on carb #4. Not sure I would want to do it on the inner carbs though. I'm sure you could, but it would not be fun getting those inside screws back in place.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

enricher operation

just want to clarify where the air/fuel
                            flows from the operation of the enricher

the above pic shows the hole on the left side, this is where extra air/fuel
                            is flowed for the enricher
                            chapter 6 page 143 of the clymers manual describes the operation
                            of the enricher.

as i previously stated the 3 small holes near the butterfly are
                            off idle progression holes, they add extra fuel only when the butterfly begins
                            to open and has nothing to do with the enricher circuit what so ever.

ive started noticing more incorrect information being posted on the site,
                            with either ppl to scared to say anything in case they offend
                            someone, or who just dont know any better.

this site just aint like it used to be.
                            pete

new owner of
                            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                            zrx carbs
                            18mm float height
                            145 main jets
                            38 pilots
                            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Pete, thank you for your correction.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                              X