Pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pistons

I'm working on fixing up the front brakes on my 80g. The calipers have been removed and disassembled. The cylinders seem to be in decent shape and I can order a couple rebuild kits, but before I do, I need to be sure the pistons are still repairable.
    I'm attaching some images below. Both pistons have a couple good rust gouges on the top area. Is this fixable? Should I be smoothing this down if so? Anyone have suggestions on ways in doing this?
    Sorry for all the questions, still just a newb here learning as I go.

1980 xs1100G - Sold
    1981 Venturer - Stock

IMO, those are toast....

Install new pads, and the seals will be trying to seal on that rust. Even if you clean it off, you still have some pretty deep pitting which will cause leaks and possible brake failure. Bite the bullet and order some new pistons...

Both MikesXS and PartsNMore sell them, and there's a EBay seller offering stainless steel versions too (he's actually a bit cheaper), to permanently eliminate that problem.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by TheDuck View Post
      I'm working on fixing up the front brakes on my 80g. The calipers have been removed and disassembled. The cylinders seem to be in decent shape and I can order a couple rebuild kits, but before I do, I need to be sure the pistons are still repairable.
      I'm attaching some images below. Both pistons have a couple good rust gouges on the top area. Is this fixable? Should I be smoothing this down if so? Anyone have suggestions on ways in doing this?
      Sorry for all the questions, still just a newb here learning as I go.
      Hi Duck,
      anything is fixable. Those pistons need to be centreless ground to below the deepest rust pitting then hard-chromed and ground again back to the stock diameter to salvage them.
      This would cost way more than buying new pistons.
      Be glad you have a Standard as I read that the Special's front caliper pistons are unobtainable.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks. When I first got them out of the cylinders, I had a feeling they were done.
        1980 xs1100G - Sold
        1981 Venturer - Stock

Comment

Working...
        X