Tires/Tyres question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires/Tyres question

I wondered if anyone could recommend tyres for a standard XS1100E? I've really lost touch with tyre makes and so on. In the past I used Avon Roadrunner. I don't even know if these are made any more. I'm looking for good roadholding and, of course, the rear has to fit into the rather tight dimensions of the swinging arm. I don't ride particularly fast and always take corners steadily, so I don;t need race-type tires.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Sizes would be useful...
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

I use the stock size but want to try a 140. As far as a brand Metzlers are a good tire and I use Dunlop Elite II for the last two tires I have put on the rear and am very happy with them. Good in corners and holds up well. I used a Chen-Shin once (real inexpensive) and was content with the handling but I didn't get but about 7000 on it and it was done, it was a softer compound. This is just my opinion. There are just a few threads on this, just do a search with "tires" and the opinions will flow like water off a cliff.
    Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

The question on tires is a loaded one. Most everyone has their own ideas, and likes in tires. Some will say one is great, and someone else will say they wouldn't use anything else. For myself, i have used Kenda, and thought it was pretty good except for the mileage. Nw i have a Dunlop GT500 or something like that, and i like it a lot, but i can't ride 2 up with it because of it's load rating, so choose carefully. I think overall that the ME880tire may be a good all around tire. Be sure to watch the load rating, especially if you ride 2 up.
      1980 XS1100LG Midnight
      1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
      A quick death and an easy one.
      A pretty girl and an honest one.
      A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Just like what tire to use on your cage, which one for the bike is very subjective. Newbie says Kenda is good, for me, they were crap. I think it depends on your riding style, your road conditions, and weather conditions which will work best for you.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

James, the big limitation to tire selection for your bike is going to be that 17" rear wheel. Most manufacturers only offer one tire in the correct 130/90-17 you need, a few none. Only Shinko has two choices in 'quality' that I'm aware of, and no one offers a 'correct' oversize. All of the rest have one offering in their 'mid line' or 'value' tires. Bridgestone, Metzler, and Shinko appear to be the 'better' tires, at least going on where they place them in their product line and reports from owners here.

There are a few additional choices if you go 'off size', but be aware of load rating and particularly tire width; you cannot fit any tire wider than 5.45" without serious modifications to the swingarm. All of these choices will have a considerably smaller diameter compared to the 'proper' size, and all are of a lower-profile design; the tire will look 'small' on the bike.

You have one other tire alternative; swap to the 'Specials' 16" rear wheel; you'll also need the specials' wheel spacer and steel caliper bracket to make it fit. This opens up your choices to nearly any type you want, as both 130/90-16 and 140/90-16 sizes will fit in nearly all cases (except for 140 sizes with raised letters; the letters will scrape). These also have a slightly smaller diameter compared to the 17", but not objectionally so.

This help?
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            This help?
            Sure does, thank you
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Tyres

Bridgestone was suggested to me as the brand to use to help with the squiggles of these bikes. Not sure what model of tyre but I have them on my Yami. Can check the model later if need be.
              But frankly all of these modern tyres have a funny feeling to me, especially in the rain. Yami just wallows and squiggles even worse than my Suzuki.
              Last time I felt comfortable in the rain was on Dunlop TT100s, but I may be dating myself there.
              Over here in the Great White North where the roads get cracks in them, they fill the cracks with tar which is really slippery. The tar can be 12 inches across and ten feet long and the stuff is all over. Makes for interesting rides, and I will need a tow truck ( lorry ) to get Yami upright if I ever drop it.

BTW you already know the incorrect spelling of tyre is tire over here, but it is tar in the Southern US.

Crusty

Comment

Originally posted by Crusty Snippets View Post
                Bridgestone was suggested to me as the brand to use to help with the squiggles of these bikes. Not sure what model of tyre but I have them on my Yami. Can check the model later if need be.
                But frankly all of these modern tyres have a funny feeling to me, especially in the rain. Yami just wallows and squiggles even worse than my Suzuki.
                Last time I felt comfortable in the rain was on Dunlop TT100s, but I may be dating myself there.
                Over here in the Great White North where the roads get cracks in them, they fill the cracks with tar which is really slippery. The tar can be 12 inches across and ten feet long and the stuff is all over. Makes for interesting rides, and I will need a tow truck ( lorry ) to get Yami upright if I ever drop it.

BTW you already know the incorrect spelling of tyre is tire over here, but it is tar in the Southern US.

Crusty
                So, in the Southern US, you can get a tar stuck in tar, then?

Comment

one word kenda... i always ran them there cheap reliable and look good on the 11
                  _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
                  1980 gs1000g "stock"
                  1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
                  2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

One thing you Special owners need to remember is a 'standard' owner needs a 130/90-17" rear tire, so the choices are severely limited. Dunlop, Bridgestone, and Metzler only offer one tire that fits (D404, Spitfire, and Marathon models respectively). Shinko offers two, and Avon, Kenda, and ChengShin don't offer any....

If anybody knows of other brand/model tires in that size, standard owners would like to know.
                    Last edited by crazy steve; 11-07-2010, 02:54 PM.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Avon don't offer any....

Avon, Roadrider AM26 (rear)
                      130/90-17 68V MT3.50 2.50 - 3.50 140 5.5 671 26.4 7.5

mro

Comment

Ok, I missed one.... and it's another low-line model.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Tar

Originally posted by James England View Post
                          So, in the Southern US, you can get a tar stuck in tar, then?
                          Yes I believe that would be correct especially on a hot day. Around here it does not get hot enough to melt the tar. However inland in BC there is the Okanagan Valley that stretches down into Washington State. It goes over 100F or 37C often.
                          They must use a different mixture of tar where it gets really hot.

Back to tyres, others in the group are more up to date on the subject than I am. There are many more choices available for my other bikes, but they are all too much money IMO.

Crusty

Comment

I just installed Kendas on my 80G to replace the Chen Shing (sp?) Maxxis that lasted for over 8k miles. One of the features I was looking for this time was a front tire without a groove running down the middle, center, of the tire. I wanted to avoid tires that followed every groove and crack on the road.
                            The Kenda I installed is the Kruz model. It has interlocking blocks of rubber about 1" to 1.5" wide that run down the center. It totally eliminated that wandering, particularly on those grates they have on drawbridges. Unfortunately, they don't make a rear tire in that model so I went with the Challenger model because I liked the tread pattern. Don't know how many miles I'll get out of them but the ride is excellent. Being in Florida you don't see too many twisties but close to my house there's a road with a few of them, and they seem very surefooted.
                            BikerPhil showed me how to install them and balance them. They went on fairly easily and balanced without too many counterweights. Thanks Phil!!
                            Finally, I really got an awesome deal on them from Motorcycle Superstore.
                            Ready for this?...... $117.00us delivered to my door.
                            So, that's my 2 cents worth on this subject, for what it's worth.
                            1980G Standard, Restored
                            Kerker 4 - 1
                            850 Rear End Mod
                            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                            Automatic CCT
                            1980GH Special, Restored
                            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

i also installed Kenda tires and have no complaints ! JC Whitney 120 cost 11 bucks delivered to my door in Canada ,,good deal all round,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
                              The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                              moemcnally@hotmail.com
                              i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Working...
                              X