plastic frame cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plastic frame cover

I just removed the gas tank from the xj1100 & found a plastic frame cover. It is cracked into two pieces and pretty much fell out when the tank was removed.

Is this an essential item? If yes, can it do without being attached to the lower bracket? I can tape the two halves together so it is essentially intact.

If its not essential that it has to be attached to the lower bracket, it will facilitate putting dyna coils in the bike without altering the coils.

Thanks!
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

It's just a cover to fill in the space between the tank and the steering head. You can go without it or just find another there are all kinds for sale on the "Bay" for next to nothing.
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

That's strickly a cosmetic cover to hide the coils. Not necessary at all, ran mine for over a year after I replaced my coils without any deleterious effects. You can find them once in a very long while on ebay.
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Thanks for the answers. I'll leave off the lower bracket and install the dyna coils using brass angle as shown here (I have the green 3 ohm coils). http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4868

I'll tape the two halves of the cover together and drape them where they were sans lower bracket and not worry about the bottom screws & see how it goes.

If it rattles or becomes an issue I'll remove the cover, the Dyna coils are kind of pretty anyway...

I'm getting a lot of excellent answers regarding my XJ11 here, I really appreciate it.
        82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

I have one that you can have for the price of shipping. If you are interested I can send you pictures of it so that you know what you are getting.

Comment

Working...
          X