Engine, how hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine, how hot?

How hot do these engines get? How about the external surfaces such as valve covers, clutch covers and various other covers? Thinking about painting. I want to use a paint that is said to be good up to 250 degrees. Need paint that can take more than that, right?
    1980 CB750K

Paint rated for 250 f is fine for engine covers but you will want to go with paint the can withstand 500 f or more if you plan on painting the head.
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Thanks tinman.
      1980 CB750K

Comment

Originally posted by Electronhammer View Post
        How hot do these engines get? How about the external surfaces such as valve covers, clutch covers and various other covers? Thinking about painting. I want to use a paint that is said to be good up to 250 degrees. Need paint that can take more than that, right?
        If you don't mind BLACK, then the product called Satin Black Case Paint which I've posted about in 'Product Evaluations' will be ideal. It can be used with perfect results (as long as you degrease properly first of course) on any part of the XS1100 engine. I've done it on several bikes. In fact the heat of the engine is what cures the paint to full hardness. Absolutely no problem on the cylinder head. I'm not sure if it's made in other colours. It's available as full gloss. The make is PJ1

It can also be used on other metal and plastic surfaces. I've never known it come off.

Also wheels

Plastic headlamp shell

Last edited by James England; 11-07-2010, 04:29 AM.
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Satin Black finish

Very nice James.
          1980 CB750K

Comment

on my covers I used regular spray paint with a clear coat and it has held up well. Haven't gotten to the engine yet.
            Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Working...
            X