Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller battery?

Hey all, need some help here.

The battery for my XJ has had it; it needs to be continuously connected to the charger to even turn the bike over. Since I have taken my DL650 off the road for the winter I am wondering if I could use the battery out of the DL to start up the XJ and play around with setting up the carbs?

From what I understand the XJ has a 12V / 20Amp battery while the DL has a 12V / 10Amp battery. Will I run the risk of overcharging and ruining my DL's battery if I use it periodically in my XJ?

I know that I should just buy a battery but will this work or will I end up having to buy two new batteries?

Thanks!

I think it would be fine temporarily, maybe not so if your idling for a long time. I've run a small GS 550 battery in my XS for a while, it didn't damage anything. YMMV
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The smaller battery will be fine once the bike is running, but the starting load may not be good for it. You need 'about' 90 amps to crank the XS. If the smaller battery is capable of delivering 120 cranking amps, you should be ok (you don't want to discharge a battery at 100% if you can help it). If it delivers less, this might also stress your charging system if you use this battery to start the bike, so be careful...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by stevestrom View Post
        - - - - The battery for my XJ has had it; it needs to be continuously connected to the charger to even turn the bike over. Since I have taken my DL650 off the road for the winter I am wondering if I could use the battery out of the DL to start up the XJ and play around with setting up the carbs? - - -
        Hi Steve,
        the smaller battery may run out of cranking Amps during an attempted startup.
        Boost the bike from your car battery to start it then the small battery can take over as you balance the carbs.
        BTW, are you sure it's the XJ's battery that's fritzed and not the XJ's charging system?
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
          Hi Steve,
          the smaller battery may run out of cranking Amps during an attempted startup.
          Boost the bike from your car battery to start it then the small battery can take over as you balance the carbs.
          BTW, are you sure it's the XJ's battery that's fritzed and not the XJ's charging system?
          Yeah, the battery is a goner but the charging system may be as well. I went over the entire wiring harness when I was putting the bike back together but I need to run and make sure the charging system is working correctly. The battery currently on the bike is at least eight years old and will not hold a charge.

Comment

Working...
          X