Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XJ11 & Dyna Coils: Ballast? Mounting difficultirs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ11 & Dyna Coils: Ballast? Mounting difficultirs?

I've got a pair of 3 ohm (green) Dyna Coils on my XJ650 and want to migrate then to the XJ11. I've been searching here for info as to mounting issues on the XJ11 with no luck so far. I had to make an adapter for them to fit & one fit regularly but the other was 90 degrees off. Looking at the frame on the XJ11 I can tell it's not the same.

Do I need to make a remote mount or do I need to make adapters for the green Dyna coils to fit on the XJ1100 or... will they fit in place without modifications?

And is there a balast resistor on the XJ11 I need to bypass? If so, where is it?

Thanks!
    Last edited by KA1J; 11-05-2010, 08:52 PM.
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

i dont have the xj,
    so i cant help with mounting,
    but i do know there is no ballast resistor
    for you to worry about.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
      i dont have the xj,
      so i cant help with mounting,
      but i do know there is no ballast resistor
      for you to worry about.
      Hi,

Thanks for that. I looked around and didn't see one but I read about them mentioned on the XS & it seems like the XJ11 is an extension of the XS line. Definitely more complicated than my x2 650 maxim though...
      82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

They used 1.5 ohm coils on the 1980 and earlier XS models. Those had the ballast resistor to provide the extra 1.5 ohms of resistance to the circuit. In 1981 they put 3 ohm coils in and eliminated the resistor. Same for the XJ, 3 ohm coils stock.

Also do not own an XJ, so no telling.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

There is a post in here about the upgrade, I have seen it. I will look again and see if I can steer you to it.
          Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Here try this http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ight=coil+swap
            Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Originally posted by justme1100 View Post
              Perfect!

As much as I liked the mounting bracket I made for the 650 (one side had a bracket like shown in the above link) the other I bolted in with the plug wires going sideways and though it worked fine, I'm not sure there's room in the XS11 for that one to go sideways.

I originally was concerned about drilling a hole in the laminations to make it right so I did the bracket thing. I'll just drill the holes into the Dynas and be done with it. I'll get a 2nd set of Dynas over the winter and replace them on the 650. I do like how they work & when I start that 650 on 40 degree mornings, if I use full "choke" all I do is tap the button and it starts instantly. Yeah it's tuned well, (I'm obsessive about a good tuning) but the coils made a big difference.

Also, there was a discussion in that thread about the output voltages of the Dynas vs the XS Green Monsters with Dynas=35KV and Green Monsters=45KV... I don't have a way to tell that kind of KV, my Fluke with its HV probe doesn't go that high and the spikes would not translate to the digital gauge anyway. An oscilloscope would be a better tool but those Monsters look just the same size and design as the Dynas; too similar to be simple coincidence. I'm wondering and just guessing that they are the same rebranded coil and one is conservative on their output estimate and the other a bit freer. Again, just guessing.

Thanks for that link, it answered all my questions on mounting this.

Comment

So can you remove the ballast resistor if you use the 3 ohm coils on an '80 and earlier bike?
                1978 XS1100E
                1982 XJ650RJ Seca
                2001 Yamaha XT225
                2002 Suzuki DR650
                2008 Suzuki DL650 VStrom
                AMA charter life member

Comment

hi tom,
                  yep thats right,
                  just join the 2 wires together
                  to complete the circuit.
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots
                  slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                  fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                    hi tom,
                    yep thats right,
                    just join the 2 wires together
                    to complete the circuit.
                    Ok thanks Pete
                    1978 XS1100E
                    1982 XJ650RJ Seca
                    2001 Yamaha XT225
                    2002 Suzuki DR650
                    2008 Suzuki DL650 VStrom
                    AMA charter life member

Comment

The Dyna's fit best with the leads exiting downwards.

To achieve this you need to make 4 small adapters to turn the mountings by 90°. There is a picture of them somewhere on this site but here is a picture of mine mounted.

'84 Sport

Comment

Working...
                      X