No announcement yet.

The frustration continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The plug is kind of shiny and black. But not wet or crusty, if that makes sense.
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    Putting it together........

Comment

Yep, that sounds like wet with gas and running rich. The high fuel content forms a black dry sooty compound, but not thick. And the shiney look is the wetness. See if you can smell the gas on it.

Definitely sounds like it is running rich. try putting the petcock on that side in PRIME position and watch things for a few moments. See if gas comes out the airbox. The float can stick, but with the vacuum valves it will not show itself until it is running and then it just shows as a very rich condition.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Giggity View Post
        I was able to loosen the pilot jet the other day but it would not drop out. I could blow air and carb cleaner thru it though.
        Possible dirt is in the pilot circuit. To get the jet out, tap the bank of carbs on the workbench. The fuel mixture screw must also be removed to clear the passageways out properly. Try a new spark plug first before tearing down the carbs. Also try swapping plug wires 1 and 4, see if the problem moves to #4
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

DGXSER,
          #1 plug smells like it has been marinating in gasoline. On prime I see no fuel running out of that pod filter, only when I blew on the vent tube.

bikerphil,
          I did tap carbs on bench, would still not drop out. Problem did not move to 4 after swapping wires.

OK. So I just swapped 1 and 2 plugs and both are firing now. 3 is still cold but I did not go for a ride, was only idling while fully choked (another problem for another day).

Thoughts?

Too dark to ride around the block as I have no lights plus have to feed my kid and get her to bed!

Thanks for the help. It's gonna be a nice day tomorrow to work on this thing.
          1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

The way it sounds like it is moving around every time you fiddle with the wires, makes me wonder if your caps are on the wires tight. Or if they are good and solid on the coils. JAT.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Just to add, if you have those MikesXS black coils, they have been known to fail if the engine has been run with one side not hooked up, JAT.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

Did those bikes have a ballast resistor?

Basically, in order to run, the bike needs:
                -gas
                -spark
                -compression
                -not necesserally good timing (wont run good, but it will run)

So, take a small hammer and tap the float bowls of the carbs.
                Take off the pick-up cover and check whats happening to vacuum advance.
                Check for broken pick-up wires.
                Check the connections to coils and clean them.
                Swap spark plugs. Buy another set, theyre not that expencive, or use old ones.
                Would it be possible you swapped 1&4 and 2&3 coil wires when you connected the coils?

Do a compression test.. might be a valve problem.
                Might be a timing problem... when you almost give up, check cam timing. Dots on the cams should be aligned with the arrows.

Check your camchain tensioner. Take it out, loosen the bolt (watch for flying bits) and make sure it moves freely. Press it back in and tighten the bolt, reinstall, set per tech tips.
                If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I've had 2 floats on my 79 leak in the last year. Might want to shake them next time your in the carbs to see if you hear gas inside. A sinking float can make things a little rich
                  79 XS11 special

Comment

Back at it today after a trip. #3 had a loose plug cap. Took it for a ride and all pipes are hot after running up higher RPMs. #3 is still cold at idle though.
                    Also, when I measured temp of headers right out of the head, #s 2 and 4 were about 100 degrees hotter than 1 and 4. Any ideas
                    1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

It sounds like your problems are in your carbs. Two and four are probably running leaner than the others and No. 3 sounds like it has a clogged pilot circuit. Two and four can probably be addressed by adjusting the air screws - a Colortune would probably fix that. No. 3 is likely going to require you to pull the carbs and clean the pilot circuit again. The pilot circuits on these carbs can plug too easily, I think.

You are almost to a sweet running machine.

Patrick
                      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                      1969 Yamaha DT1B
                      Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Before you said that one pilot jet would not come out of it's tunnel. Is this on the carb for the cylinder that isn't firing?
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

Comment

May have to pick up a colortune on ebay. How many mm are our plugs?

Phil-I'm pretty sure it was carb 2 but I could be wrong.
                          1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Originally posted by Giggity View Post
                            Back at it today after a trip. #3 had a loose plug cap. Took it for a ride and all pipes are hot after running up higher RPMs. #3 is still cold at idle though.
                            Also, when I measured temp of headers right out of the head, #s 2 and 4 were about 100 degrees hotter than 1 and 4. Any ideas
                            Meant to say 100 deg. hotter than 1 and 3.
                            1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Our plugs are 14mm. That is the stock Colortune size. Other plugs, like the 12mm in my Hondas, require an adaptor. Our bikes do not.

Patrick
                              The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                              1969 Yamaha DT1B
                              Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Working...
                              X