Sandblasting advice sought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandblasting advice sought

I decided to take to take the engine out of the frame of the J I'm restoring. I'm thinking it'll make the rust removal and painting much easier and faster.
    So, does anyone have experience with sandblasting the engine for this purpose and what media would you recommend, sand, glass beads, nut shells, etc. I figure I can remove that pesky aluminium oxidation we all have to deal with and prep it for paint, maybe even paint it in one day. The frame and other parts would probably go just as fast also. Two days and re-assembly begins!!
    In the past I've used a soft wire brush on a drill and dremel tool, but it's very time consuming and maybe harsher than it needs to be.
    I realize that the media I will need to use for the aluminium will have to be softer than that used on the steel frame and parts.
    Your educamated opinions are very welcome.
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

If you're planning on doing the motor without disassembling it, I'd use plastic beads or walnut shells. This will slow the process considerably if the aluminum is heavily oxidized, but if any of the blast media manages to sneak past a seal or gasket it will be far less harmful. The media can get into the darnest places, even with masking; DAMHIK...

For fully disassembled parts or any steel items, glass beads, aluminum oxide, or sand will be fastest.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Soda blasting it all may be another option. Use mine alot for small things. Even used it to remove most of carbon inside at top of #3 head pipe prior to welding where inner pipe had broke loose bout an inch and a half down in the pipe.., plus took bout ten seconds to make the cast flange mount look like new again. Handy item and baking soda is cheap.
      Last edited by motoman; 11-03-2010, 08:02 PM.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I've blasted aluminum parts with regular media and with glass beads. The regular aggressive stuff cleans quicker, but it does leave a lot of fine pitting. he glass beads leave more of a satin finish. Might be a good idea to try a bit of each on a sample part before you go too far.

Last edited by Ken Talbot; 11-03-2010, 08:55 PM.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
          I've blasted aluminum parts with regular media and with glass beads. The regular aggressive stuff cleans quicker, but it does leave a lot of fine pitting. he glass beads leave more of a satin finish. Might be a good idea to try a bit of each on a sample part before you go too far.
          I'll agree that if you're leaving the metal 'au natural' or just clear coating, glass beads should be your choice. But if you're planning on powdercoating, the rougher surface left by aluminum oxide or sand will guarantee a chip-proof surface.

Paint, it's a bit of a wash; depends of what you want the final surface to look like...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

hi ken,
            they came up well,
            what did u end up doing with them,
            paint/polish?
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Thanks for the input guys,

Ken, those parts came out looking awesome. What media did you use? Thanks for taking the time to post the pics.

Pete, Motoman, and Steve, Good advice. I just have to locate someof that media.

I plan on blasting the engine assembled. I've covered the intake and exhaust ports with gaffers tape (kind of like duct tape) but will probably make something out of plastic to make them stronger.
              I do plan to paint the engine and the frame, possibly most of the other parts as well. Engine and frame black although the frame will be glossy and the engine kind of satin. Will probably clearcoat the peg perches and the fork lowers. We'll see how it goes, i'll keep posting pictures of the process.
              Thanks again.
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

And the beat goes on....

Well, I got he engine ready to be un-mated from the frame and the frame ready for sandblasting by removing the wiring harness. I will be laying down the assembly on the right side on blankets, remove the bottom engine mount bolts, and lift the frame off the engine. Of course, I'll right the engine immediately after that process.
                [IMG][/IMG]
                [IMG][/IMG]
                [IMG][/IMG]
                [IMG][/IMG]
                [IMG][/IMG]

Having some heavy lifting equipment to assist really makes it a lot easier.
                I had forgotten to drain the oil before starting this process, and knowing that I had to lay the engine on its side to remove the frame, I got the hoist to perform that task. Having a 2 ton hoist at your disposal sure makes it easy to manage the extra weight handling.
                Tomorrow the unmating will take place and depending on weather conditions, sandblasting will begin.
                We're having a cold front come through and painting below 50 degrees F is not recommended......BRRRRR!!
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                  what did u end up doing with them,
                  paint/polish?
                  Satin black powdercoat:

Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                    What media did you use?
                    It has been a few years, so I have forgotten exactly what brand/grit it was, but it was a fairly coarse "black sand" type material.
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

Wow Ken, even the rotors!!?? Nice finish I bet.
                      Eric, thanks for the info. I still need to identify a source for the media around here.
                      1980G Standard, Restored
                      Kerker 4 - 1
                      850 Rear End Mod
                      Automatic CCT
                      1980GH Special, Restored
                      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

I still need to identify a source for the media around here.
                        Try industrial paint suppliers if you can't find someone who specifically sells blasting media. Be prepared for sticker shock....

I'll add that wherever you're doing this, it will make a mess!

'82 XJ rebuild project
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

even the rotors!!??.
                          A bit hard to see in the photo, but the friction surfaces are masked with a special polyester masking tape that will take the heat of the powdercoat oven. You can just see on the third rotor where the masking tape has been removed from the center section where the rotor bolts to the wheel.
                          Ken Talbot

Comment

wow ken they came up a beauty,
                            did you do all that urself or have it done professionally?
                            can you post a pic of the the finished bike?

cobia,
                            lucky bugger having that equipment at hand,
                            sure makes life a lot easier i bet.
                            pete

new owner of
                            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                            zrx carbs
                            18mm float height
                            145 main jets
                            38 pilots
                            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I see that Ken.
                              I'm with Pete... can we see pics of the finished bike. I bet it's a beauty!!
                              Is it an MNS? Bet it is now!!
                              1980G Standard, Restored
                              Kerker 4 - 1
                              850 Rear End Mod
                              Automatic CCT
                              1980GH Special, Restored
                              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X