Head light and gauge light went out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head light and gauge light went out

Well today the head light went out along with the gauge lights. Could it be a electrical problem? Or do i just need to replace the headlight, also where would i get a new headlight for a 79' xs1100?
    -1979 Yamaha XS1100-S
    "Make the most you can of the Indian Hemp seed and sow it everywhere"

-George Washington

Sounds like you have a problem with a fuse, or the key switch. Otherwise, could just be dirty electrical connections.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

There are several connectors that link the headlight and the guages, so I would start with opening up and cleaning ALL the electrical connections on the bike. Open the headlight bucket and check/clean the connectors in there too. Is your '79 a Standard or Special? Do you have a sealed beam headlight or just an H4 bulb in the housing? the H4 bulbs are relatively easy to find at auto parts stores, as are the ROUND sealed beam headlights (for Specials). Pull the headlight out and test it with a 9v battery to see if the filaments light up or not.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
      X