former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

More info with a video:
      http://www.eastwood.com/ew-electropl...FQUmbAodUjdhTA
      1979 XS1100 Standard
      Putting it together........

Comment

the metal blackening kit looks pretty good too.
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Giggity View Post
          The eastwood kit does not do aluminum.

Comment

Hope I'm not getting boring

At the risk of people thinking I have acquired a zinc plating fetish, I thought I would post one more photo. These show the results of plating the cylinder head oil feed pipe. The pipe itself is some sort of copper alloy and the banjo ends are solid brass, soldered on. I neglected to take a photo before but suffice it so say, that the pipe was black, filthy and looking awful... so much so I started looking for a NOS one.

I stripped it with the Expro32, lightly sanded it with fine sandpaper and then plated it for about 45 minutes. Here are the results!

XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

The kit James has looks like a pretty good deal, but unfortunately is only available in Britain and the EU; they don't (or can't) ship anywhere else. I did some looking around online, and the kits available here either lack some of the chemicals his has, or cost a whole lot more than there (and I don't think even the 'better' kits offer the quite the same process).

Bummer....
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

If James could post the exact name of the chemicals required, and the pdf of the instructions to photobucket, I'm sure you would be able to purchase the bits needed locally. It looks to me like the rest of the stuff is fairly garden variety hardware and should be easy to duplicate. Copper pipe, buckets and battery chargers are already in most peoples garages. Zinc electrodes might be a little harder to track down, but marine supplies stores would be where I would start looking. Jaycar or Radio Shack would be worth a look also.
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                  If James could post the exact name of the chemicals required, and the pdf of the instructions to photobucket, I'm sure you would be able to purchase the bits needed locally. It looks to me like the rest of the stuff is fairly garden variety hardware and should be easy to duplicate. Copper pipe, buckets and battery chargers are already in most peoples garages. Zinc electrodes might be a little harder to track down, but marine supplies stores would be where I would start looking. Jaycar or Radio Shack would be worth a look also.
                  Yes, I'll do that tomorrow. I'll weigh the chemicals too, so you get the proportions correct. The kit I bought has sufficient for making two 4 litre batches of electrolyte and the chemicals are weighed out ready to use. You'll need to buy some resistor wire in order to make a simple voltage adjuster. Tell you what, I can e-mail you the PDF instructions that came with the kit. Just PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you it....

Tonight I did the bracket on my bike which holds the rear mudguard (under the seat) ... also the tube which goes around the front engine mounting bolt, across the front of the engine. Amazing!
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Well, the mystery is semi-solved....

After sending me the PDF containing the directions, etc, (Thanks James!) I found that James' kit contains some hazarous materials which must be ok to ship and sell to 'consumers' in the EU, but not elsewhere. The 'basic' plating chemicals are common (in fact, it appears that the seller gets these from the US) and non-hazardous, it's the 'brightener' and 'colorants' that have the nasty stuff in them. That explains why the US kits lack these. The PDF does have the MSDS pages included, but they note that these mixtures are 'propriatary' and simply lists the 'bad' ingredients, but doesn't do much for amounts or list any inert or non-hazardous content.

You may be able to pick these up locally, but you'll have to do some reseach to use them, or do some experimenting. Don't anybody blow yourselves up...
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Check here for a brightner supplier in Medina, Ohio.

http://www.alchemcorp.com/id7.html

Zink Glo K seems to be the one needed for a potassium chloride bath. If you dont want a bright finish you dont have to use brightners, you just get a dull grey finish instead. Fine for non visible stuff that you dont want rusting.

Posting a few questions here http://forum.caswellplating.com/elec...nsumption.html might produce some more info as well.
                      Last edited by b.walker5; 11-06-2010, 04:22 PM.
                      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Cracking job James, I was also keen to do this type of work when I was rebuilding my bike but at that time I couldn't get anyone to ship the chemicals to Finland.

That seller you linked to does ship to the EU so I'm going to order up a kit to give it a go.

If the US guys want to do this then they have the largest dealer in this type of kit right here at home: http://www.caswellplating.com

BTW, I read that you were going all stainless on your bike. I also did the same. For the engine bolts you will need to use stainless bar and thread both ends because it is impossible to find bolts that long in stainless.

If I remember right there was just one long M8 bolt (105mm) on the middle gearbox that I couldn't replace with stainless.

'84 Sport

Comment

never get sick of pics
                          keep em coming,
                          they're turming out really well.
                          pete

new owner of
                          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                          zrx carbs
                          18mm float height
                          145 main jets
                          38 pilots

Comment

found this one in aus
                            also available in a few other countries.

http://www.caswellplating.com.au/
                            Last edited by petejw; 11-10-2010, 06:46 AM.
                            pete

new owner of
                            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                            zrx carbs
                            18mm float height
                            145 main jets
                            38 pilots

Comment

Originally posted by Shappers View Post
                              Cracking job James, I was also keen to do this type of work when I was rebuilding my bike but at that time I couldn't get anyone to ship the chemicals to Finland.

That seller you linked to does ship to the EU so I'm going to order up a kit to give it a go.

If the US guys want to do this then they have the largest dealer in this type of kit right here at home:

BTW, I read that you were going all stainless on your bike. I also did the same. For the engine bolts you will need to use stainless bar and thread both ends because it is impossible to find bolts that long in stainless.

If I remember right there was just one long M8 bolt (105mm) on the middle gearbox that I couldn't replace with stainless.

Yes, I used threaded bar! I also got a long stainless Allen bolt for the middle gearbox with no problem, here in the UK. It's the only long one on that gearbox and I paid approx £3 for it. Let me know if you want me to get you one and send it to you. Talking of engine mounts, you know the front one on the bike that goes through a metal tube? Yep... I removed the tube, cleaned it and.... zinc plated it. It comes up beautifully and I believe that that was the original factory finish. Really nice.

Good that you can get that kit to be sent to you in Finland. You need absolutely to remove all rust. I used a product called Expro32, available from www.expro-32.com It's excellent stuff and removed every trace of rust from my rear mudguard support bracket (which looked like something which had been buried for 50 years). You dilute some product into water and, if you heat it gently on a stove whilst the bike parts are in there, it quickens the chemical reaction immensely. Then degrease with something like paint thinners or similar solvent. Grease, or fingerprints will interfere with the galvanising process, so you have to make sure everything is clean.
                              Last edited by James England; 11-10-2010, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Could this be done to the inside of a fuel tank?

mro

Comment

Working...
                                X