Question about engine venting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about engine venting

On my project bike, a '79 SF, there are two vent hoses on the back of the engine. The large one is obviously a crankcase vent, but my question is concerning the smaller one with a metal clip attached. Does this one just vent to atmosphere, or back to the airbox? The PO had partially disassembled the bike and I'm working on the puzzle.

hi kwats,

there should be 2 rubber hoses coming from the top
    of the carbs, these go to the airbox, on either side of
    the crankcase vent which goes in the middle of the air box.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Smaller one should be the middle drive vent. The clip mounts on top of the airbox bracket that mounts just forward of the fuel tank rear mount. The clip doubles as the vent line holder and holds down the wiring harness.
      Richard

Comment

The other vent hose from the crankcase (smaller one) comes from the middle drive. I had it routed a bit upwards, then down... along with the battery and gas tank vent hoses.
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

sorry, i didnt read the question properly,
          lucky the others had.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
            sorry, i didnt read the question properly,
            lucky the others had.
            It happens Pete, don't worry about it.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks guys...

While I have worked on bikes since the 60's, these XS11's are quite unique.

Comment

Ain' they though!! And mostly in a good way! Pretty darn simple in general and so far I find them enjoyable and relaxing to work on.

Used to love to work on cars and trucks, but the new ones have everythign so packed into small little holes and nothing is easy to get on or off without buying that special factory only $1,000 tool. When it takes a book, two techs, and experience to figure out how to get access to the spark plugs in a Ford Truck...when I sat on the wheel well of my 70 F250 and pulled the head, something seems REALLY wrong here!! Thats why I like working on this bike, if I can't reach something, just walk around the bike and its right there!!
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                  when I sat on the wheel well of my 70 F250 and pulled the head, something seems REALLY wrong here!!
                  Aint it great when you can sit inside the engine compartment and work on the engine! I love that type of vehicle!!
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

After fiddling with this '79SF for a while, I have come to the conclusion that the design engineers of the time were dreaming up $hit to add to these bikes. Three things that will be removed from this bike will be the vacuum petcock system, the tip over switch, and the reserve lighting device. In my opinion, these just over complicate everything.

This bike was stored in a fellows outbuilding for many years with probably a couple of gallons of fuel in the tank. It took a while to clean out the fuel system, but all is well now. Since the bike only has 5600 miles on it, I felt it was worth the effort.

Somebody had apparently tried to get it running sometime during the years, they broke a float post off, rounded all the idle jets, and cracked one of the vacuum chambers. I found a good set of carbs that didn't even need rebuilding, so the kits I bought will be hanging on the wall. Just waiting on a fuel sending unit and new petcocks now. I expect to start the bike next weekend.

I appreciate all the information I have gathered from this site.

Comment

Originally posted by kwats View Post
                      After fiddling with this '79SF for a while, I have come to the conclusion that the design engineers of the time were dreaming up $hit to add to these bikes. Three things that will be removed from this bike will be the vacuum petcock system, the tip over switch, and the reserve lighting device. In my opinion, these just over complicate everything.

This bike was stored in a fellows outbuilding for many years with probably a couple of gallons of fuel in the tank. It took a while to clean out the fuel system, but all is well now. Since the bike only has 5600 miles on it, I felt it was worth the effort.

Somebody had apparently tried to get it running sometime during the years, they broke a float post off, rounded all the idle jets, and cracked one of the vacuum chambers. I found a good set of carbs that didn't even need rebuilding, so the kits I bought will be hanging on the wall. Just waiting on a fuel sending unit and new petcocks now. I expect to start the bike next weekend.

I appreciate all the information I have gathered from this site.
                      I agree with the vac petcocks and the RLU but I dont agree with the tipover, its nice if you go down when your on the road. But to each their own.

Do you still have the old carbs? I could take them off your hands if your just ditchen them!

Also you dont need to buy new petcocks to git rid of the vac operation from them.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That RLU has saved my butt a couple times aready. The tipover switch too. Definitely not "extras" IMO.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

I still have the old carbs in my parts pile for spares if needed. The fuel strainers were trash, so I hunted down new petcocks with strainers. I was ready to weld in bungs for aftermarket petcocks, but I found original ones in pristine condition.

The bike was only ridden for 2 years, still had a 1981 plate on it, and I told my son that the PO was probably scared of it. Turned out I was right, the bike was too much for the fellow. Having been an MSF instructor for many years taught me that there are certain people that shouldn't try to ride large motorcycles.

Back in 1980, a friend and I rode in the Iron Butt (Canada to Mexico). I was riding an Electra Glide and he was riding an XS11 Standard. We traded bikes for a while, and I was certainly impressed with the big Yamaha. Told myself I would buy one someday, and I did. I am restoring it with a twist, adding a full tour package and updating the rear fender and lighting system to something that doesn't just look like some added do dads on a stock bike.

Trying to decide on a color...got all winter to play with it. I'll ride it for a while next year and then turn it over to my son.

Comment

thanks nate.

i agree with the rlu and vac petcocks,
                            but that tip over switch is really handy,
                            i removed it for a little while but when i accidently knocked
                            the bike over while working on it,
                            petrol started pissing out of the back of the carbs
                            and the engine kept running,
                            i put that switch back on straight away.

kwats,
                            glad ur getting it all sorted.
                            pete

new owner of
                            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                            zrx carbs
                            18mm float height
                            145 main jets
                            38 pilots

Comment

Hey Don,
                              Ain't that the truth, it took me half a day to change the plugs on my Explorer. I even had to take off the right side tire and use double universal socket extensions to get at those buggers. No need to ask me what i was saying about those design engineers...
                              1980G Standard, Restored
                              Kerker 4 - 1
                              850 Rear End Mod
                              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                              Automatic CCT
                              1980GH Special, Restored
                              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
                              X