different length velocity stacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different length velocity stacks

I have an 82 and dos 79's. The 2 79 models were both made in 78. One in april and one in july. The april one is my daily rider and its a beast when it comes to acceleration!!! Any way the airbox was removed 3 years ago when I bought the pods. The newly aquired 79 from july 's airbox has slightly shorter boots inside the airbox. A little over an inch shorter. What's up with that? I have swapped the april one onto the july bike because the chrome on it is in great shape.
    Anyone else notice different legnths in thiers. All 4 are longer on the older one...
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

Originally posted by yamahansolo View Post
    I have an 82 and dos 79's. The 2 79 models were both made in 78. One in april and one in july. The april one is my daily rider and its a beast when it comes to acceleration!!! Any way the airbox was removed 3 years ago when I bought the pods. The newly aquired 79 from july 's airbox has slightly shorter boots inside the airbox. A little over an inch shorter. What's up with that? I have swapped the april one onto the july bike because the chrome on it is in great shape.
    Anyone else notice different legnths in thiers. All 4 are longer on the older one...
    From what I have read it seems some of the 79's were set up like 78's, could be that the 78's had a longer velocity stack than the 79's and that is another one of the subtle changes that took place between the two years.

Just thinking out loud...
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That was kinda my guess already. But also my carbs had different jets too it came with 140 mains 45 pilots and 210 airjets. That's a little different than what most of the 78's came with.
      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
      8mm msd wires
      tkat fork brace...
      Fox shocks...
      mikes650 front fender
      led's gallore...
      renthal bars
      gold valve emulators
      vmax tensioner
      Rifle fairing

Comment

just the main is different, should be 137.5.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yamaha continually 'detuned' these bikes after the initial '78 models; why, I couldn't say. Could have been emission requirements, maybe an effort to get better fuel economy, possibly to reduce stress on the clutch/trans. Some of the changes were pretty obviously cost-cutting measures (deletion of the kickstarter, the much simpler and less 'tuned' exhaust crossover on the special exhaust), but hard telling why this was done...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I know some of the 79's were detuned but not all. If you look mine came with140 main jets so to me that would mean if it needs more fuel it probobly makes more power. The other 79's had 137 mains. Also I have raced with a lot of bikes and this thing has huge balls even blew by an 80 standard. We were at the light and I was directly behind him. Light turned green and we all hammered it. The lane next to us became available and I blew by easily. When we stopped he said he was at 8grand when I blew by! His bike is in good working order as well. The bike in front of him was an 81 with a big bore kit his front wheel went up when he launched. After he got moving was when I started. I got right behind him but the lane ran out of room so I didn't get to blow by him...

I also noticed today the petcocks are diffrent. Mine come out straiht to the middle of the bike. The new one has one on the back left side and one on the front right side. And they are at an angle

79 xs11 standard
            8mm msd wires
            tkat fork brace...
            Fox shocks...
            mikes650 front fender
            led's gallore...
            renthal bars
            gold valve emulators
            vmax tensioner
            Rifle fairing

Comment

Originally posted by yamahansolo View Post
              I know some of the 79's were detuned but not all...
              You are correct; Yamaha didn't do 'clean' model breaks, but seemingly 'used up' existing stock before making changes. I bought a '79 standard parts bike that other than color was identical to the '78s; 'tube-only' wheels, sealed beam headlight, etc...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

And of course you would blow by an 80, as the 80 was detuned in relation to the 79, and the 81 even more,although the big bore kit would probably more than make up for that.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Aparantly it didn't make up enough

79 xs11 standard
                  8mm msd wires
                  tkat fork brace...
                  Fox shocks...
                  mikes650 front fender
                  led's gallore...
                  renthal bars
                  gold valve emulators
                  vmax tensioner
                  Rifle fairing

Comment

Working...
                  X