New 1978 XS1100 owner questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
    Maybe never; some owners with higher mileage bikes still haven't done the tranny fix. I think it has more to do with how the bike was treated. Beating the snot out of it, shifting without the clutch, or failing to be very 'positive' when shifting seems to have more to do with the trans issue than miles. So you might get lucky...
    I've had four XS1100's and ridden tens of thousands of miles total. Three of them had done 40,000 miles or so. On my third one, I fitted a nitrous oxide injection system with 70bhp jets. I rode that bike for over 2 years, burned loads of nitrous and travelled all through France, Luxembourg and Holland. Even using the nitrous, when immense amounts of power appeared at a certain throttle point (and therefore in any gear, including 2nd), I've never known the gear to jump out.............
    I've never once, ever encountered the transmission problem re jumping out of gear. In fact, until I joined this website, I wasn't even aware that the bikes sometimes suffered this problem. I'd be interested to know the stats.... how many XS11's are still out there and how many actually have suffered this transmission problem?
    Last edited by James England; 10-21-2010, 03:37 PM.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
      I've had four XS1100's and ridden tens of thousands of miles total. Three of them had done 40,000 miles or so. On my third one, I fitted a nitrous oxide injection system with 70bhp jets. I rode that bike for over 2 years, burned loads of nitrous and travelled all through France, Luxembourg and Holland. Even using the nitrous, when immense amounts of power appeared at a certain throttle point (and therefore in any gear, including 2nd), I've never known the gear to jump out.............
      I've never once, ever encountered the transmission problem re jumping out of gear. In fact, until I joined this website, I wasn't even aware that the bikes sometimes suffered this problem. I'd be interested to know the stats.... how many XS11's are still out there and how many actually have suffered this transmission problem?
      Mine is currently suffering from that problem but it is first gear that jumps out. Looking for replacement gears as i don't have a garage to do the dremel fix. Going to have to get a shop to do it for me in the spring .
      82 XJ1100
      Regina,Saskatchewan,
      Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

I just found that I had at least 2 wires,(the blue & red), broken on the pick up coil.
        I think one of the others is broke also.
        It seems it would be a lot easier to take the unit off to check them all real good and fix the ones that need it.
        Is there anything I should know before doing this?
        And which way do you turn the timing plate to remove it?

Thanks for all the help so far, this is definetley a very helpful web site.
        1979 XS1100
        1974 CB750
        1985 V65 Sabre
        1988 KLR650
        2001 CR250

Comment

When you get in the timing cover the pickup coil wires are going to be a different color. there is a factory splice about 6 or so inches outside the cover inside the wire loom where the wires change to the other colors. The wires under the cover are super soft and flexable and frequently break inside the insulation. These are the wires that break, not the ones that run to the tci. Most people splice in some test meter wire leads as replacements.

The timing plate is held on by a Allen bolt. It is notched on the back so it SHOULD only go on in the appropriate direction.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by scrapvalue View Post
            I just found that I had at least 2 wires,(the blue & red), broken on the pick up coil.
            I think one of the others is broke also.
            It seems it would be a lot easier to take the unit off to check them all real good and fix the ones that need it.
            Is there anything I should know before doing this?
            And which way do you turn the timing plate to remove it?

Thanks for all the help so far, this is definetley a very helpful web site.
            Scrap, turn the engine till the little reluctor tab lines up with it's slot. Also take a sharpie and draw a line across the PU coil assy and the case. This'll help you keep the timing correct. Pull off the assy and repair the wires. The 6mm allen bolt is right hand threads. Put some grease on the mechanical advance while you're in there.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Well I fixec those 2 broken wires and gave the carbs a good complete cleaning and the bike runs nice.
              Idles great and revs out nice.
              Have to do some reassembling before I can actually take it for a ride, but so far so good.
              I can't imagine how long,(if ever), it would have taken me to figure out those broken wires.
              That is what I makes these forums so great.
              People who have experienced the problems, figured out how to fix them and willing to share what they know.
              I owe you guys a beer, maybe 2!
              1979 XS1100
              1974 CB750
              1985 V65 Sabre
              1988 KLR650
              2001 CR250

Comment

Well at least you know she is worth fixing now!
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Here is a picture of the bike when I brought it home.

Last edited by Ken Talbot; 10-23-2010, 07:25 PM.
                  1979 XS1100
                  1974 CB750
                  1985 V65 Sabre
                  1988 KLR650
                  2001 CR250

Comment

OK, you have the Vetter fairing. dump it, as it's no great loss!( I KNOW I'LL get it for THIS statement!) It sounds as if you have it running well, so you should be riding shortly!
                    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                      OK, you have the Vetter fairing. dump it, as it's no great loss!( I KNOW I'LL get it for THIS statement!) It sounds as if you have it running well, so you should be riding shortly!
                      ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

How can you tell if it is a Vetter fairing?
                      The only markings I can find on it ar all Yamaha tags.
                      Here is a picture of the Yamaha ID plate with serial # 10398 on it.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...1024101141.jpg

Did Yamaha contract Vetter to manufacture the fairings?

I have both of the lowers and all mounting hardware.
                      Any idea what a complete fairing is worth?

Picture of lowers.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...022101351a.jpg
                      1979 XS1100
                      1974 CB750
                      1985 V65 Sabre
                      1988 KLR650
                      2001 CR250

Comment

Originally posted by scrapvalue View Post
                        How can you tell if it is a Vetter fairing?
                        The only markings I can find on it ar all Yamaha tags.
                        Here is a picture of the Yamaha ID plate with serial # 10398 on it.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...1024101141.jpg

Did Yamaha contract Vetter to manufacture the fairings?

I have both of the lowers and all mounting hardware.
                        Any idea what a complete fairing is worth?

Picture of lowers.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...022101351a.jpg
                        There are only two possibles, Pacifico and Vetter. It's definitely not a Pacifico, and that leaves the Vetter, and yes, Yamaha contracted with Vetter to make fairings for the XS1100 starting in 79. Craig Vetter was out of the picture by that time, but as it turns out was aware of the contract and knows the guy who designed the mods made to make it look the way Yamaha wanted (and to allow the square standard light). Now I have to say that I like the Vetter fairings, but it is indeed a personal taste issue, and some just don't like them. Personally I figure my body shape makes for a pretty good parachute at speed on a bike, and the Vetter fairing hides me from the wind, and while it's debatable as to if it's more fuel efficient, it certainly is less tiring not having to fight to hold onto the bars at speed with the fairing on there.

If you like to tear up the twisties, then you probably won't like the fairing, but if you like to tour in relative comfort, you may well like it.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Although being from Michigan you could keep the fairing and just put it on early in the spring and start riding earlier than all the non fairinged people and then take it off once it gets nicer, then you can put it back on in the fall and ride later into the year than others.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I just sold my Kawasaki Concours that had a full fairing.
                            The fairing was very nice when it was cold or raining.
                            But when it was hot, it was just plain miserable.
                            I have decided to just buy a nice riding suit that I can use when I need it, but can enjoy being in the wind when I want to.
                            I spend the winters working in S. Florida now, so I really get a long riding season.
                            I may install a windshield that I can remove if I want.
                            1979 XS1100
                            1974 CB750
                            1985 V65 Sabre
                            1988 KLR650
                            2001 CR250

Comment

regarding the fairing

Hi,
                              I will sure take the lowers and the bag setup if you want to sell them reasonable. I have seen the fairing itself offered to give away, since they are a bear to ship, but if you can find someone close by, where shipping isnt an issue, there could be good value in it. Pm me regarding the bags and lowers if you would, I already have the fairing itself. I am in Michigan, in Midland.
                              Bikes Now.
                              80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
                              79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
                              83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
                              83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
                              08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X