Fuel meter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel meter?

My fuel gauge would work whenever it pleased. I replaced the float system a while back and it did not correct the problem.
    Today I followed troubleshooting procedures in the manual. The plug from wiring to tank float read OK. When I got in the headlight bucket, with switch on, it said testing brown to ground should read 12 volts and green to ground should read 7 volts. Brown was good, but green read about 1.20 volts. I took tachometer apart and put 12 volts to the fuel gauge terminals and it read fine. My logic tells me it it is the little black box (fuel meter) behind the tachometer.
    Does that sound right? If so, can it be fixed or do I need to find a new black box if available. Or another tachometer?
    79 XS1100F.
    SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
    TC's fuse box.
    SOFA filter.
    Venture cam chain adjuster.
    Tkat fork brace.
    Progressive fork springs.

It does seem like the volt regulator in the housing is bad if it does not produce 7 volts. However, I am not sure what you meant by saying "put 12 volts to the fuel gauge terminals and it read fine."
    Last edited by skids; 10-18-2010, 09:27 PM.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Skids.

Originally posted by skids View Post
      It does seem like the volt regulator in the housing is bad if it does not produce 7 volts. However, I am not sure what you meant by saying "put 12 volts to the fuel gauge terminals and it read fine."
      What I did was put 12 volts to the fuel gauge terminals and it moved to full. I took that as the gauge was good.
      Found a new fuel meter (little black box behind the tack) and installed it. Everything is OK now. Have not have a reliable fuel gauge in years, since it would work whenever it pleased. On and off, every once in a while.
      79 XS1100F.
      SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
      TC's fuse box.
      SOFA filter.
      Venture cam chain adjuster.
      Tkat fork brace.
      Progressive fork springs.

Comment

Working...
      X