No charging output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No charging output

Working on the XS and I don't have any output from the alternator. It passed both resistance tests, 3.5 ohms on the field coil and .4 ohm between the output leads. It was rusty and grungy inside so I cleaned it up with some scotch brite and then rinsed with brake cleaner. Same results. Of concern is a test from commutator to the next commutator that shows continuity with no resistance, also continuity to chassis ground. I'm pretty certain the stator shorted but not sure. Please help!
    US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
    1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
    1985 Super Glide
    2012 Super Glide

You could try grounding the dark green field coil wire. This will bypass the voltage regulator, but not the rectifier. See if you have charging voltage, should be a bit higher than the normal 14.5V. I've done this trick when my voltage regulator quit until I could obtain a new one. IIRC, you have a modified wiring harness.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Go to catatonicbug's website, download the service manual and follow the step by step testing pocedures found therein. You should be able to isolate the cause as it seems you are DVOM savvy. Here's a link: http://www.ringler.us/family/mybike.html
      I think...
      '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Heavily modofied harness. I failed to check for magnetism on at the cover or for 12vdc going to the field coil. I cleaned the stator up and it's drying overnight. Water had gotten into the wiring loom over the last 17 years. All continuity and ohm tests were good on the stator and field coil so I'm thinking it's good. I'll ensure 12vdc going in, ground the green to bypass the regulator, and retest tomorrow. I've been reading some old posts and this seems to be the popular tech question!
        US Army 1986-1991

1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
        1985 Super Glide
        2012 Super Glide

Comment

Got the charging problem fixed. I bought a new (used) regulator and installed it. No output. Then I looked over the wiring schematic again and saw I missed running a switched 12vdc to the brown wire on the regulator. Hooked it up and I have 14+ vdc when running. Now I have a spare regulator too.
          US Army 1986-1991

1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
          1985 Super Glide
          2012 Super Glide

Comment

Sweet! Easy enough of a fix!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
            X