Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picked up my first XS1100 this past weekend. Anyone in Bakersfield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up my first XS1100 this past weekend. Anyone in Bakersfield?

I now have an 79 XS1100 thanks to one of my buddies. I have been doing some extensive research the past few weeks knowing that he wanted it out.

I have a few general and specific questions. This is my first bike Ive actually owned. I have little experience with street motorcycles (more so with dirt and quads). My friend who sold it to me only had this bike for about 3 months or so and had hardly ridden it, but he did not too much of the mechanics of the older bikes when selling it to me (he has newer sportbikes only). Is there anything I should really know about this bike as far what would probably be common sense for vetrans of riding? I have read all of the links regarding info on maintenance, problems, etc.

Also, the bike did not come with any gauges. I read about a single digital gauge that would display speed/rpm/fuel/etc. Would the 79 be capable of using a digital gauge?

Thanks,

Mark.
    Mark - 1979 XS11 Standard (Pic 1, Pic 2) (Pic 3) (Pic 4)

Careful

For a first bike it's probably not the best choice. It's top heavy, and not for the inseam challenged. Like you probably have read here, shifts like a Russion tractor, but when you twist that throttle the excelleration is mind bogling and sh*t comes at you fast, plus these MC's don't corner as well as a sport bike and you really have to muscle it in the corners. Changing from a right hand corner to a left quickly takes some real muscle. These thing I've learned riding with my friend in the twisties. He rides a Suzuki GSXR 1000, 150 HP in a bike that weighs a little over 400 lbs is hard to keep up with.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

These bikes have a lot of go when running right, but not quite enough on the breaking end of the spectrum.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
        For a first bike it's probably not the best choice. It's top heavy, and not for the inseam challenged. Like you probably have read here, shifts like a Russion tractor, but when you twist that throttle the excelleration is mind bogling and sh*t comes at you fast, plus these MC's don't corner as well as a sport bike and you really have to muscle it in the corners. Changing from a right hand corner to a left quickly takes some real muscle. These thing I've learned riding with my friend in the twisties. He rides a Suzuki GSXR 1000, 150 HP in a bike that weighs a little over 400 lbs is hard to keep up with.
        Yeah I realized how much power it has when feeling it on the straight, luckily I have the self-control to baby it on the little roads im practicing on. I did notice how HEAVY it is too! Wow! The actual size is not a problem, if anything kind of small for me with my feet on the pegs. I am 6'4'' (34" inseam) and 255lbs so the inseam part is not a problem. It is one real heavy bike with me on it though.

How often do you have to use the choke in colder weather?

BTW, I do not plan on riding the bike in public traffic until I complete the MSF course coming up in three weeks.

Comment

Excellent choic eont he MSF course. Very useful. And ofter 6 months or so see if you can take the Advanced rider course as well.

Basics of operation, FINE-C for start up. F=Fuel is on, I=Ignition (key) is on, N= Bike in Neutral, E= E-stop is on (the switch on the right hand bar with the start button on it), and C=Choke. First start of the day you should need at least half choke and in the cooler temps we are seeing now, full choke. Then when th eengine starts and begins to ramp over2000 or 2500 RPM I push it in to half choke, from there, let it warm till the throttle responds well (no bogging) and head out. About a half mile down the road or more, push the choke all the way in. When you park it, I always turn the petcocks to off (special model) and take the key with me.

As stated, it is a big heavy bohemoth of a bike and brakes like the average freight train. Does not handle anything like as well as the newer sporty type machines. But will tear your shoulders out of their sockets or leave you on the pavement behind it if you hit the throttle to hard. The 750 models I had before would never give me the ease of passing anything at any speed this bike does. 75 MPH on the superslab, and a car is sitting next to you keeping you in their blind spot (danger Will Robinson...DANGER) a light twist of the throttle and they will soon be in your mirror and shrinking away. This thing will pull nicely for typical and or cruising riding from 35MPH or so on up in 5th gear.

ohhh...and you may already know this, but when you pull up to a stop light or stop sign, always put the bike in 1st gear so you can pull out of the way if an idiot behind you is failing to stop. (and for all you nay-sayers on that one, it is what the MSF course teaches as well.)

HTH
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Thanks for the response. Pardon my ignorance, but can someone post a picture of the choke on this bike? Im fairly positive I know which one it is, but the previous owner didn't even know what a choke was. Like I said it was his first bike with carburetors.

He did show me the idle adjusting screw. Any other switches/screws/levers I should know about that can help?

I am mechanically inclined and knowledgeable, except with motorcycles.

Comment

Bakersfield is about four hours away from my location..... You didn't put the TYPE of XS you picked up. is it a Standard, with the square headlight, or a Special, with the round? The front forks are another way to know, if it has a leading axle, it's a Special, axle under the tubes, it's a Standard.
              Replacing the rubber brake lines with stainless WILL give you much better front brakes. Cleaning everything will also help a lot. I would also check the date code on the tires, as if they are over about five years old, the bike will feel like it's on ice! (DAMHIKIJK) With your weight, I would run about 38psi in front, and about 36psi in the rear tire as a start point.
              Welcome to the site, and DO try and ride up the coast! Once your used to the handling, it's a GREAT ride a bike!
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Dont have a pic but when you are sitting on the bike it will be on the left side of the carbs. It will just be a small lever that sits pretty much right in the middle of the carb. It should have a black platick cover on it that says choke but it might be missing and just be a plain metal tab that you pull out. It will be connected to a metal shaft that runs across the front of the carbs.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  Bakersfield is about four hours away from my location..... You didn't put the TYPE of XS you picked up. is it a Standard, with the square headlight, or a Special, with the round? The front forks are another way to know, if it has a leading axle, it's a Special, axle under the tubes, it's a Standard.
                  Replacing the rubber brake lines with stainless WILL give you much better front brakes. Cleaning everything will also help a lot. I would also check the date code on the tires, as if they are over about five years old, the bike will feel like it's on ice! (DAMHIKIJK) With your weight, I would run about 38psi in front, and about 36psi in the rear tire as a start point.
                  Welcome to the site, and DO try and ride up the coast! Once your used to the handling, it's a GREAT ride a bike!
                  I will have to look at the forks when I get a chance, because it has the Standard tank but with a round headlight. Thanks for the other advice, I did notice the brakes could be improved a lot.

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  Dont have a pic but when you are sitting on the bike it will be on the left side of the carbs. It will just be a small lever that sits pretty much right in the middle of the carb. It should have a black platick cover on it that says choke but it might be missing and just be a plain metal tab that you pull out. It will be connected to a metal shaft that runs across the front of the carbs.
                  Yup, that is exactly what I thought it was. Thanks!

Comment

Look up member Catatonicbug. He has a download on his site, with a link from his signature, to the manuals you will need. I would also like to point out the link here, http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792 This should help you get started.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                    X