Finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally

After putting new seals in my carbs and testing I found the same problem still existed. Necessary to turn #3 idle screw out many turns to make it fire right while all the others were different though less. So I finally took off the boots/manifolds and found that they were obviously leaking, #3 especially. A little Yamabond high temp and now they show major differences when I first connected the synch tool. #3 was WWAAAYYY high. After synching and tuning all idle scews are about 2 turns out and the synch stays much closer when I open the throttle.

Needless to say I'm much happier.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

go planedick

Isn't it great its something that simple after hours of trying to solve it? Way to go, now to get the scoot going like the rocket it is. Let us know how big your Smile is after getting the xs going like you know it should...........Mike in SUn DIego, home of the just defeated Chargers via the Raiders, we are all still in Shock here
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

Me too

I'm a bit taken aback by the Charger's poor performance too....
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system

Comment

As a Chiefs fan here in Kansas City, it was entertaining to see the Chargers defeated at the hands of the Raiders.

BTW...What is Yamabond and what is it good for. My boots on my XJ are cracked and I'll have to address them soon. I've found them on ebay for around $75 but if anyone has a better suggestion on where to get replacements, I'm all ears.
        1982 XJ1100 Maxim

Comment

Probably

Usually not necessary to change 'em as they are double walled and the cracks are only on the outside. When you remove the carbs you can see that the inside is just fine.

Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system

Comment

Yamabond is yamaha branded rtv silcone.
            For my cracked boots (cosmetic in my particular case) I wraped them with silcone tape, you may have seen the late Billy Mays hawking the same stuff for sealing leaky plumbing, vacuum cleaner hoses etc.. The one I used is called 'stretch and seal' and I got it at Home Depot in the plumbing section, and it comes in any color you want, so long as its black.
            '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerMike View Post
              Yamabond is yamaha branded rtv silcone.
              Depends on the number. Yamabond is made by Threebond and rebranded for Yamaha to sell as an OEM product. Comes in 3, 3b,4,5,and now 7. 3 and 3b are NLA new but there are still some sources out there. Those 2 are Threebond #1104 and were a rubberised compound that dried semi hard, and in my view were the best of them all. Any excess squeezed inside the cases will break down in the oil and not cause you issues. The current mix is Threebond #1194 and is silicon based which wont break down in oil. It works okay but not as good as 1104 IMO. (use it sparingly where oil galleries, or filters and screens are present. DAMHIK)

No matter what you choose, Threebond is a good product and beats Permatex and others hands down.

As to the carb boots. I used black marine windscreen sealant on mine 10 years ago and havent had a problem since. Get it from most hardware stores or boating supplies stores.
              Last edited by b.walker5; 10-12-2010, 01:05 PM.
              1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
              2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm pulling the carbs this weekend to address another issue. Maybe I'll tackle the cracked exterior wall of the boots as well while the carbs are off.
                1982 XJ1100 Maxim

Comment

Just a minute

While you got 'em off it only tkes a few minutes to remove the rubber boots and apply some Yamabond on the backsides to be sure they don't leak there. I wish I had done it long ago when I started dealing with this Issue.

Drilled airbox
                  Tkat fork brace
                  Hardly mufflers
                  late model carbs
                  Newer style fuses
                  Oil pressure guage
                  Custom security system

Comment

Working...