oven cleaner in exhaust ports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oven cleaner in exhaust ports?

i have used oven cleaner when i comes to carbon clean up with great success.. but has anyone every sparyed it directly into the headers and the exhaust ports on the block??? i used it to clean up pistons and valves but that steels not aluminum.. and was wondering if it would corrode or damage the exhaust ports.
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

The can probably says not to use it on Aluminum. I have used it on the outside of a painted (MNS) engine with no ill effects, but you have to rinse it off with copious amounts of water... Definitely not something you want to introduce into the INSIDE of the engine unless you've taken it apart.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      The can probably says not to use it on Aluminum. I have used it on the outside of a painted (MNS) engine with no ill effects, but you have to rinse it off with copious amounts of water... Definitely not something you want to introduce into the INSIDE of the engine unless you've taken it apart.
      Yeah, that's not something you want to use on bare aluminum. It eats the metal pretty fast (particularly rough-cast for some reason) and leaves a soft porous surface. If you're trying to remove carbon, this'll remove it, but by eating the metal it's stuck to.

Should work fine on the steel headers though... just don't get it on the chrome.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

and other chemicals you suggest to use to clean out the exhaust ports? i would use a dremal but im afriad it will do more harm then good...
        _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

I've heard of some people using a spray of water into the intake while the engine is running. The steam supposedly helps clear the carbon out.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Top engine cleaner. Engineered to remove carbon and be aluminum friendly.
            Also works extremely effectively when used in an injector cleaning system (for cars) cut 8 to 1 with gasoline (better than any injector cleaners I've used).
            Any self respecting auto parts store should have it on hand, use as directed, and change the oil when you're done.
            '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

A dremel with a small wire wheel would be fine; if you use a brass wire wheel, I don't think you can hurt anything....
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

A dremel with a small wire wheel would be fine; if you use a brass wire wheel, I don't think you can hurt anything....
                Wear eye protection!
                Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Originally posted by Guy_b_g View Post
                  Wear eye protection!
                  And everything else protection!! Those wires hurt like a SOB at the speed they get thrown off that wheel!!! DAMHIK
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

thanks for the safety reminder...it may be stupid to others but i always where eye protection when it coms to gring, cut, ect anything...i got most of the carbon off the headers with the oven cleaner...fyi DONT BREATH IT IN! its still kinda hard to breath...but the exhaust port i have to go buy a wire wheel for my dremel..oh before i forget on the triple what side is that bolt and acorn nut?? snapped mine of while trying to remove it..but i got my front forks lowered looks mean

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Working...
                    X