Speed-o-meter repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed-o-meter repair

I took the speedometer apart on my XS this evening. I didn't do a very good job but I learned a bit and got the mechanism cleaned up and working. This is one of the round 160 mph models and I want to save it. Can I pick up an easy to find 85 moh model and put my mechanism in it? I need a new front bezel that crimps over the plastic cup the most. I had a tough time uncrimping it. Also need a needle.
    US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
    1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
    1985 Super Glide
    2012 Super Glide

Those front bezels are not sold separately. They are just about impossible to remove without damaging, so most people just replace their speedo instead of trying to open it up. If I were you, I would find a replacement speedo and call it done.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by old_chopper View Post
      I took the speedometer apart on my XS this evening. I didn't do a very good job but I learned a bit and got the mechanism cleaned up and working. This is one of the round 160 mph models and I want to save it. Can I pick up an easy to find 85 moh model and put my mechanism in it? I need a new front bezel that crimps over the plastic cup the most. I had a tough time uncrimping it. Also need a needle.
      Hi chopper,
      the speedo guts should swap no problem. I'm not too proud to learn from the younger generation; if the speedo needle is still on the pin but bust off short, my son Eric fixed his by epoxying the proper length of red plastic spray tube from a rattlecan onto the stub.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
        ...if the speedo needle is still on the pin but bust off short, my son Eric fixed his by epoxying the proper length of red plastic spray tube from a rattlecan onto the stub.
        You can do that, but you can probably kiss accuracy goodbye. I've tried this very thing several times (although not on XS gauges), and in both cases the gauge was off by 15-30% after the repair. Even putting some paint on a faded needle can throw them off by 10% or more.

You can try 'recalibrating' by messing with the needle spring adjustment, but it didn't work for me; I ended up replacing.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I don't know much about speedo's i would never be caught in one personally..

but foolishness aside.

I'm not sure if this will help but it's what i needed at the time.

speedometer breakdown and lube.pdf

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5E5TRZ3X

Good Luck
          1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
          1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Working...
          X