Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing above 4k rpm

Hey guys

I'm a new XS owner. I picked up a nice 79 XS11 and almost everything works.......or at least it runs kind of.

First question

The bike will crank and idle but I have nothing above 4k sitting or riding. P/O gave me new carb boots (says the old ones have cracks hence the problem) normally a vacuum leak would affect idle and just off idle too wouldnt it?

Second question

Turn signals....I have to hold the button for them to operate, is this normal?

Cant wait to be a part of the XS11 community..........

hi adam,
    welcome to the forum,
    with regards to the engine running, sounds like it could
    be in the ignition system, i think from memory the 79 is
    similar to th 78 in that there is a mechanical advance and vac
    advance, the mechanical advance could be sticking and needing
    a bit of lube.
    also check for broken pick up wires, if you do a quick search a heap
    of info will come up

also at 4000rpm with the carbs the slide needle and emulsion tubes
    come into play, but if the engine does it both whilst sitting stationary
    and whilst riding, then id probably rule that out, as the slides wont lift
    unless theres load on the engine.

with the blinkers it isnt normal to have to hold onto the switch,
    the switch should return to the middle position, you might have to
    pull it apart and have a look inside.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I didnt even think about the mech advance. thanks I will look into that.

Comment

Are all four pipes hot? Does it have air filter(s) on it? Make sure the exhaust isn't plugged.
        US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
        1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
        1985 Super Glide
        2012 Super Glide

Comment

All pipes are hot, filters in stock location.

Found something interesting, I will take pics soon. The choke is held on by a screen door hinge, no I am not making it up, a hinge.

Great execution of MacGyverism but a fail in my book. You pull the choke out and the hinge falls in to keep the plungers out, lift the hinge and viola the plungers go back in.

What else will I find?

Comment

Only time can tell what else you will find. POs can be very creative, although often mislead.

You may want to look at the carbs. It is more often the pilot circuit is gummed up than the mains at that higher RPM. But I know I had oen set of carbs where the bike sat for a loooong time, I had to DRIVE the emulsion tubes out (using a wooden dowel) and the gunk filling the gap between the emulsion tube and the carb wall was like sandy mud!!! Yours can;t be that bad and run I would think. But still, worth looking into those carbs.

Also, try the checks on the coils for resistance, and the TCI and pickup coils.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Adams77 View Post
              All pipes are hot, filters in stock location.

Found something interesting, I will take pics soon. The choke is held on by a screen door hinge, no I am not making it up, a hinge.

Great execution of MacGyverism but a fail in my book. You pull the choke out and the hinge falls in to keep the plungers out, lift the hinge and viola the plungers go back in.

What else will I find?
              There is a spring that pushes the choke lever back in, but there are supposed to be a tiny ball and a spring under the choke shaft on the #1 and #4 carb that make 2 detents to allow full, 1/2, and closed positions. The balls are available (I have some), but the tiny springs are a bit tougher to locate. You may find that they are still in the holes where they belong though. IN reality, you only need 1 of the balls/springs to keep the detent working fine.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

The good news is that the XS11 is nearly bulletproof, so as long as it was not run without oil you should be able to fix it. I always suggest that new owners find a clymers or similar, between that book and this forum you should be set.

An orginal set of carb boots is going to look cracked, but that doesn't mean they go all the way through. Best test is to hit them with a shot of starting fluid when the bike is idling. If they are cracked through the bike will speed up when you do that. just make sure all the vacuum ports either have a cap or a good vacuum hose on them.

for the 4000 rpm limit one thing to check is that throttle cable is set up right. I did have one once with a goofy throttle cable that first 1/4 turn of the throttle was needed just to pick up all the slack.

good luck,
                Scott
                I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Working...
                X