Xj1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xj1100

Recently pulled my carbs to clean the pilot circuit. Number 2 and 3 carb airbox boots seems to have shrunk as the are not long enough to safely secure to the carb. Need replaced or is there another possibility?
    XJ1100
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/XE...=w1201-h677-no
    82 SR500
    74 Yam MX250
    80 XS750 Dirt Tracker
    72 XS650
    other to be posted later

Hey Dug,

Have you checked the boots closer to see if they haven't actually gotten pushed past their mounting lips into/inside the airbox? They have a fair amount that sticks into the airbox, so if you want to keep the airbox, you should be able to pull/slide the boots out some from the airbox to be able to reach the carbs. Depending on where the lip of the boot ends up, you may need to seal it with some black RTV!?

Otherwise, you can go to Pod filters.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Might try removing the box and carbs, Take the bottom case off and see if you can push the center part of the box out enough to mount the boots and leave it sitting for a few days. Perhaps use a heat gun or hair drier to fan the area and see if it will soften and reform to shape. Had a similar situation but was able to just barely get the center boots secured. Been watching for months on flea bay for another box.

Unfortunately unlike the XS, You cannot remove the bottom case when it's installed in the bike. I even tried putting an XS box in but it will not fit.
      79SF
      XJ11
      78E

Comment

At the time I did not try what I suggested to you. Wish I had now.
        79SF
        XJ11
        78E

Comment

I appreciate all of the advice. What I actually did was pull the carb boots through the air box and then clamped the boots to the carbs. Seem to fit tightly against the air box for a good seal. I did use rtv sealant around the boot connection to the airbox. I snipped the end of the rtv cap and slipped a piece of 6-8 inch gas line over the nozzle for flexibility. Then I was able to direct the sealant where I needed it to be. Carb cleaner test indicated there were no leaks. Next time the carbs come off I will also try to push the air box out.
          I bought an XS11 in 1978 when I worked for a Yamaha dealership. My cost was $2850.00. Wish I hadn't sold it because of a head gasket leak at 33,000 miles. The power difference is noticable.
          XJ1100
          https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/XE...=w1201-h677-no
          82 SR500
          74 Yam MX250
          80 XS750 Dirt Tracker
          72 XS650
          other to be posted later

Comment

I know what you mean, My XJ I consider docile, My SF is a maniac
            79SF
            XJ11
            78E