Blown fork seal...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown fork seal...?

If I saw one on the street, I probably wouldn't recognize it. What are the physicals of a blown fork seal anyway? I made the "just a little bit of air from the commpressor" mistake, trying to get from 11# to 14.5#, felt a backphart of air, and from then on couldn't get it to take more than 4# at a reading. So, pulled the fork leg down to looking at the seal. I can't see any physical damage; maybe a lip on the seal was forced the wrong way by the excess air??..I dunno, I'm tempted to put it back in, and check the air pressures some more. Any accounts of encountering a blown seal?....on the street?...LOL
    Geno

I'm currently riding around on two blown fork seals. All it does is puke oil onto the tops of your forks/dust covers and blows back onto the motor and smokes. You'll feel a few more bumps in the road. Because you'll lose the oil you'll lose the dampening action of the forks. It shouldn't ruin the forks or cause the front end to fall off or the motor to explode or anything drastic.
    1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Originally posted by BigDick View Post
      I'm currently riding around on two blown fork seals. All it does is puke oil onto the tops of your forks/dust covers and blows back onto the motor and smokes. You'll feel a few more bumps in the road. Because you'll lose the oil you'll lose the dampening action of the forks. It shouldn't ruin the forks or cause the front end to fall off or the motor to explode or anything drastic.
      Hi Big Dick,
      lucky you!
      when my fork seals failed the oil ran down onto the front brake disks.
      By the time the new seals arrived I grew my right forearm to the same size as Popeye's getting the rig slowed down with oil-contaminated front brakes.
      So, Gyro, watch for leaks and re-seal if you see any.
      BTW, the forks are best re-inflated with a bicycle pump.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Before I replaced mine I put a blue paper/fabric type shop towel under the boot wrapped around the forks. Someone here suggested it . Kept the oil off the brakes till I replaced them anyway.
        Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Thanks guys for answering. Good information all. I took a chance, put it all back together with new fork oil....and air, LOL, and it's holding! So far, so good, now for a test ride. Tomorrow promises to be better; the last coupla' days have been RAIN, WIND, and no riding!!That's the PNW for you.
          Geno

Comment

Working...
          X