Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 xs11

Hi All,
    I'm new here, and - whilst not an XS owner, am working with a shop in Austin TX. We have a customer 'dog bike' in right now, that he wants to build into a street racer. I have plenty of experience building Brit, and some Euro racers -- but, never tackled one of these rascals before!! My first idea is to do something of a KR replica TZ750 scheme -- and secondly, maybe a Rob North Trident?
    First thing we'll be looking at is changing out the complete front end - for a modern one -- upside down forks will be fine, along with decent discs -- maybe Brembo?
    Anyone here gone that route? Any suggestions about what will (& wont!!) work will be greatly appreciated. As and when we come up with a firm plan (and the go ahead!!) - I'll post progress pix!!
    Thanks in anticipation,
    Brid Caveney.

I have heard of a couple people I think using a busa front end. What it took to do it i do not know though.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I think that someone did an FJR front end as well. I think there is even a thread on here about it.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

well, here's one option...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ight=fork+swap

For even more, try here...

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=10.0
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I think Chop is using busa forks and a mono shock on his tricked out ride, maybe he or someone else will chime in. Basically, if your going to put different forks on the front you can count on changing the upper and lower trees. IIRC the busa uses the same sized tapered bearing as the XS, as does the FJ...
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I'll add that one of the issues with swapping forks on these is the rather short XS neck/stem. Most modern bikes have longer stems (even the ones that share stem bearings) so you'll likely have to address this with whatever forks you choose. I have yet to see a fork swap on these that's a true 'bolt-on'... all have needed some fabbed parts.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Well thanks for the input guys. I wasn't expecting anything to be a 'shoo in'
              Either modifying stems - or building a new one isn't a problem -- as having interchangeable bearings is the biggest deal. The 'Busa' option sounds interesting. Maybe 'Chop' has some thoughts?
              Again thanks!!
              Brid.

Comment

His name is xschop, you could pm him and ask.

It wouldn't be ungodly difficult to cut the neck off and weld on the neck from the donor bike.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  His name is xschop, you could pm him and ask.

It wouldn't be ungodly difficult to cut the neck off and weld on the neck from the donor bike.
                  No reply to the PM I sent to ZX11Chop? Anyone know if he's still around?
                  We had a 'Busa' in for repair last week -- so I took some quick measurements (rough ones!!) Looks like the 'Busa' forks are nominally around 4" shorter than the stock XS11 ones. I don't see any way to get the rear of the bike down 4" - to keep the geometry somewhat correct?
                  The stock XS forks are (nominally) 32" from axle centre to top of top triple clamp ---- 'Busa' = 28".
                  Maybe there is decent (modern) Yamaha front end out there that would work --- Dual disc - upside down etc?
                  Cheers,
                  Brid.

Comment

The gentleman your looking for goes by "XSCHOP" here on the forum. But he has not been around in a month or so. You may find him at the XS11.org site.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                      The gentleman your looking for goes by "XSCHOP" here on the forum. But he has not been around in a month or so. You may find him at the XS11.org site.
                      Thanks!! I 'typo'd' in my last post - with ZX11Chop, should have read XS11Chop. I found XSChop's profile - and PM'd him.
                      Cheers,
                      Brid.

Comment

If you decide not to go with modern forks I would get racetech gold valve emulators!!! I live in the north ga mountins and we have some awesome roads. The bike easily feels 50 pounds lighter with these and handles like my yzf600r did. You should see my chicken strips!!
                        You could go the busa route. Contanct frank at forks by frank he can make longer busa tubes to get you the right length.
                        I use the slotted rotors from an 82. They work pretty good since you have a 78 you can order the performance brakes for the xs 650. I think brembo makes a set there a web page for them. I'll look for it and send info.

Also look for one of the posts I just did. I am using zrx1200r carbs. They are much quicker ! Throttle response is a massive increase. I even posted a video.
                        " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                        xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                        8mm msd wires
                        tkat fork brace...
                        Fox shocks...
                        mikes650 front fender
                        led's gallore...
                        renthal bars
                        gold valve emulators
                        vmax tensioner
                        Rifle fairing

Comment

Ok go to. Www.650central.com. they have brembo calipers. Direct bolt on for the stsandard forks. They even have better brake mc's.
                          I know modern forks sound cool but I did a lot of reading on other sites on the goldvalve cartridge emulators and they are magical!!! Specifically look on some of the old kz1000 web sites. I think one of them was kzrider.com?
                          The company claims it will make the bike handle like well tuned modern cartridge forks.
                          " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                          xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                          8mm msd wires
                          tkat fork brace...
                          Fox shocks...
                          mikes650 front fender
                          led's gallore...
                          renthal bars
                          gold valve emulators
                          vmax tensioner
                          Rifle fairing

Comment

Why have I never heard of the brembo brakes for the standards? That is awesome!
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by yamahansolo View Post
                              Ok go to. Www.650central.com. they have brembo calipers. Direct bolt on for the stsandard forks. They even have better brake mc's.
                              I know modern forks sound cool but I did a lot of reading on other sites on the goldvalve cartridge emulators and they are magical!!! Specifically look on some of the old kz1000 web sites. I think one of them was kzrider.com?
                              The company claims it will make the bike handle like well tuned modern cartridge forks.
                              Thanks man!! 650 Central owner Mike Mercury Morse is a good friend of mine, -- I've known him for years!! I've used the Gold valves on quite a few Vintage race bikes I've built -- and yes -- they DO work!!

Comment

Working...
                              X