Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
    Ouch. That's more than I want to spend.
    You're lucky you don't have an LH or an XJ! A full set of lines, not including the hard pieces, is $228.75. Linked brakes = 5 separate lines.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Chrome or ss

"polished chrome banjos instead of unpolished SS"
      Stan Hutchinson bought the chrome banjos and now they are rusted up pretty bad. SS can be polished to chrome like polish and will not rust.
      I choose the SS
      My $ worth
      Dell82
      Houston, TX
      82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
      SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
      SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
      SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by DELL82 View Post
        "polished chrome banjos instead of unpolished SS"
        Stan Hutchinson bought the chrome banjos and now they are rusted up pretty bad. SS can be polished to chrome like polish and will not rust.
        I choose the SS
        My $ worth
        Chrome is not maintanence-free; you do have to clean/polish it once in a while...

My concern with polishing SS would be the heat put into the metal during the process, possibly damaging the line where it's crimped to the banjo...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          You're lucky you don't have an LH or an XJ! A full set of lines, not including the hard pieces, is $228.75. Linked brakes = 5 separate lines.
          when I was looking at their site ii figured I would just do to separate lines for the front then that brings it down to 3 lines.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve;
            I think you could do the Goodridge lines (buying the lines and banjos separately) for slightly less money.
            Ah, but then you couldn't say your bike sported brakelines from HEL(L)!!

In all seriousness though, is $200 expensive for a turn-key solution? I haven't priced any other pre-built kits. If anyone wants to rattle off a few more manufacturers I keep sending/posting emails.
            1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

I want to say but not sure, coastguard on ebay is somewhere around 70
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Have a look at Z1 Enterprises. They sell brake lines and fittings at competitive prices.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Steel Brake lines

"One thing I've done on other bikes (and am planning to do on my XS) is fab a steel hard line from the front master cylinder to the bottom of the forks (after setting the bars where I want them) and using these lines from the forks to the calipers"

Crazy Steve....Do you have a rigid front end on your bike? I cant see how to mount Hard steel lines to compressable forks.

Comment

My fingers run behind my brain sometimes...

What I meant to say is I run a hard line from the master cylinder to the bottom of the lower tree, then braided lines from there....

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

I'm looking solely for "bolt on" brakelines- no end crimping, banjo juggling, or expletive uttering. That being said, I really like the idea of the hardline/braided line hybrid. That would really be something if someone pulled it off, and thinking about it, it doesn't seem too hard (at first glance).

What about hardline fuel lines, at least partially?
                      1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

You can pick up steel brake lines at the auto store plenty cheap. No need to mess with the fuel line. I plan on doing the same using hard line to the bottom of the trees then braided line to the calipers. You might also check speedway motors and such for the race car stuff. Get an "an" style fitting for the calipers and you're set. I'll post pics and a list when I get to mine, it may be a couple months yet though as I'm working on the carbs currently, then build a wiring harness, then disassembly...you get the picture!
                        US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
                        1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
                        1985 Super Glide
                        2012 Super Glide

Comment

One thing to keep in mind. If your state requires a safety inspection annually or periodically, your bake lines should have the DOT stamp on them or you could have issues. I know Ohio does not require this, but some states do.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                            One thing to keep in mind. If your state requires a safety inspection annually or periodically, your bake lines should have the DOT stamp on them or you could have issues. I know Ohio does not require this, but some states do.
                            Not an issue... this standard didn't even come into application until Dec '06, so there's no way they can apply it retroactively. Unless you own a vehicle newer than a '07, it doesn't apply to the vehicle. I'll also note that the DOT doesn't 'approve' anything, it merely requires that any brake line sold after that date must 'comply' with this standard. It's entirely self-policing with any test data being submitted to the DOT. When you see statements like 'DOT approved', they're not correct.

There was another standard used before this one, but that one only applied to large trucks.
                            Last edited by crazy steve; 10-07-2010, 11:59 AM.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                              Not an issue... this standard didn't even come into application until Dec '06, so there's no way they can apply it retroactively. Unless you own a vehicle newer than a '07, it doesn't apply to the vehicle. I'll also note that the DOT doesn't 'approve' anything, it merely requires that any brake line sold after that date must 'comply' with this standard. It's entirely self-policing with any test data being submitted to the DOT. When you see statements like 'DOT approved', they're not correct.

There was another standard used before this one, but that one only applied to large trucks.
                              Not arguing just asking, why then do the original lines have that ring on theline with the date and DOT on them?
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                                Not arguing just asking, why then do the original lines have that ring on the line with the date and DOT on them?
                                Dunno... Why did that NOS exhaust that sold on EBay recently have a added-on factory-installed EPA data plate on it? That standard didn't come into effect until after the '78-80s that exhaust fit had been out of production for two years... maybe Yamaha was just paranoid. There's a maze of regulations covering what/how new vehicles are built, but there hasn't been as much regulation of aftermarket parts.

Look up 'FMVSS106' (the document that describes this 'standard') and see for yourself. I do know that this wasn't an issue with aftermarket brake lines until just recently; it's only been in the last year or so that you've seen the DOT thing really come up...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                                '79F parts...
                                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...
                                X