Pops through the exhaust ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pops through the exhaust ???

Hey all,my 80 xs1100 special seems to pop through the exhaust when I let off the gas and at low idle.When I hold the gas steady at 1500 rpm's it is rough.After I go beyond that it smooths right out. Would I be correct to assume it needs a carb overhaul or cleaning???? Also is it just mine or are they all hard on gas? Thanks:Rick
    1980 XS 1100 replaced the seat and sissy bar from a XS 1100 standard and changed the handle bars. Did not like the original bars at all.No mod at all except for a four into one header.

Yep, I'd start with a carb cleaning, just to be certain that's out of the way. However, the main reason for the popping is likely that they need to be sync'd and the fuel/air mixture screws need to be adjusted (colortuned).
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

carb float level
      careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Simple: too lean at closed and near closed throttle.
        Bad news: more than one possible cause.
        Pilot circuit(s) restricted or misadjusted, carbs out of sync, one or more floats out of whack. Or of course all of the above, or any combination.

As far as hard on gas goes, these bikes aren't known for geat fuel economy (as bikes go). Properly tuned and adjusted, fuel econ is more wrist factor than anything else.
        As an example, my 78 will run like a scalded dog, OR get 40 mpg, but not both at the same time, if you take my meaning.
        Last edited by ManagerMike; 10-03-2010, 04:00 PM.
        '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerMike View Post
          As an example, my 78 will run like a scalded dog, OR get 40 mpg, but not both at the same time, if you take my meaning.
          Well stated! I like that one.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

These guys got you covered so far. As stated, start off with a GOOD carb cleaning (search for the thread carb cleaning 101 by wildkat).

Some where in the 30s is normal for mpg.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Clean, re-check the float levels, and re-sync. Be careful not to strip any pilot jets or break any float posts.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

As previously stated, sounds like she is running lean at low RPM or in the pilot jet circuit. You can try simply opening the mixture screws a 1/4-1/2 turn, may cure it.

I will say that it is always good to clean the carbs and know their condition. If you do not know the last time they were cleaned, definitely do it this winter. Also check the jets while your in there. Check the number and style of pilot jets. Seen a couple or more sets latley that had the VM style (8 holes) pilots installed instead of the BS30/96 style (6 holes), or even worse the ones in Banshee when I got it were N151 with no holes. JAT.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Before you go tearing things apart, it is worth your time to try and run a couple cans (total) of Sea Foam through a few tanks of gas. Sure, it is the lazy way, but I have seen it work if the carbs are just dirty.
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

First

Synch the carbs and adjust idle screws for smoothist idle and repeat. If that don't do it then take 'em out and clean them and check float height.
                    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                    Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system
                    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Sea Foam

Good advice on the seafoam!! I put one can through and it cleared the popping up some. Seems to do it more once it gets hot. But along with the popping it was running very rough at around 1500 rpm's. Well since I put the seafoam to it, it is very smooth at 1500 rpm's. Might try another can. But I admit it probably still needs a cleaning and possible jetting.Rick
                      1980 XS 1100 replaced the seat and sissy bar from a XS 1100 standard and changed the handle bars. Did not like the original bars at all.No mod at all except for a four into one header.

Comment

I hope the sea foam finishes clearing up your problem, but if you do have to take the carbs off, one thing to do before you remove the carbs is check the fuel level in the bowls. You snug a clear tube on the drain, and loop it up above the carb, and open the drain. That's the only accurate way to check the fuel level, and you don't have to take the carbs off the bike to do it. You should do it on all four carbs.
                        '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Big Red,

That only works on the 81 and later model carbs. The 80 and earlier models only had a drain plug, not the bottom nipple with the side drain plug of the 81 and perhaps XJ carbs.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                          X