"CycleTherapy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "CycleTherapy"

Got her home tonight, what a relief! It's in better shape than I thought it was going to be. That tank might grow on me, it looks better with the seat than the teardrop tank I have off an old 650 (which doesn't fit anyway) so I'll make do. The guy kept the carbs individually bagged and numbered, lots of parts to go with it. It shouldn't take a whole lot to make it run again but I'm going to disassemble it and work on it over the winter.

Boy does it feel GREAT to be on two wheels again!

Jim...<><

'78 XS1100E

Previous bikes:
    Early 70s Honda 90 Enduro
    1998 Honda Shadow ACE
    2006 Honda VTX 1300R

Dogs understand why people ride motorcycles

Good luck and welcome aboard. Let us know if we can help (cuz we can)
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Yup if you switch to a teardrop tank.from a special you will have a gap in-between the seat and the tank, unless you get a special seat that fits too.

Plus you can carry more gas with the standard tank you have now anyways!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

At first i didn't like the look of the standard but the more i see pictures of them, the more i want one

Congrats on the bike and hopefully you don't run into too many snags
        Eric Haarstad
        Minnesota

1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

It shouldn't take a whole lot to
          A little WD, a tap with a hammer here and there and “Presto Motorcyclo
          Just like new

Kidding aside,
          amazing just how nice the 11’s can look and run if you spend the time.

mro

Comment

Originally posted by mro View Post
            A little WD, a tap with a hammer here and there and “Presto Motorcyclo
            Just like new

Kidding aside,
            amazing just how nice the 11’s can look and run if you spend the time.

mro
            Ditto.
            It took some work, trial and error but; worth every minute.
            Good luck
            XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
            650SF
            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
            XS1100SG Project bike
            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

One thing I've already noticed is this thing sits high! I am used to the Honda cruisers that sit much lower and I like the lower center of gravity. Not to mention at 5'10 & a 33" inseam I'm not exactly short, but this bike makes me feel that way. Is there a lowering kit for it?
              Jim...<><

'78 XS1100E

Previous bikes:
              1998 Honda Shadow ACE
              2006 Honda VTX 1300R

Comment

Originally posted by gui_tarzan View Post
                One thing I've already noticed is this thing sits high! I am used to the Honda cruisers that sit much lower and I like the lower center of gravity. Not to mention at 5'10 & a 33" inseam I'm not exactly short, but this bike makes me feel that way. Is there a lowering kit for it?
                Yeah, it sits higher than other bikes. No "lowering kit" out there, but you can do things like trimming the seat down or dropping the 'tree down on the forks a bit. I'm the same height you are, but the height of the bike is JUST low enough so I can flat-foot on both sides. However, I usually only touch down with the left side, and keep the right on the brake. Wildkat has done some things to her bike to help her deal with the fact that she is vertically challenged, so maybe she can advise some other tricks.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Yep, they're tall, top heavy, ill mannered at low speed, the transmission feels like something from a bad "lost in space" episode, (was there a good one?) and they have the braking characteristics of a coal freighter. Combine all of that with sphincter puckering power........trust me you'll come to love it.

And yes, the standards can look pretty effin good! I'm rather proud of my resurrected barn troll!
                  '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Capacity is everything.

Got her home tonight, what a relief! It's in better shape than I thought it was going to be. That tank might grow on me, it looks better with the seat than the teardrop tank I have off an old 650 (which doesn't fit anyway) so I'll make do. - - -
                    Boy does it feel GREAT to be on two wheels again!
                    Hi gui,
                    you can fit an XS650 tank by cutting it's narrow tunnel out, trimming the outer shell to fit and welding in a wider tunnel salvaged from a damaged XS11 tank.
                    The wider tunnel would reduce the XS650 tank's capacity to ~ 2 gallons.
                    You'd most likely hate that worse than the 3.9 gallon capacity of the XS11 Special's tank, even though the XS11 Special tank will drop straight on with a minor tweak or two.
                    So yeah, "making do" with the Standard tank and it's 5.3 gallon capacity is the way to go.
                    Especially when you get the bike on the road and come to grips with it's massive thirst.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Massive thirst? What kind of mpg are we talking about? I realize it's an 1100, but my old 1300 VTX got 40something.
                      Jim...<><

'78 XS1100E

Previous bikes:
                      1998 Honda Shadow ACE
                      2006 Honda VTX 1300R

Comment

Depending on how "heavy handed" you get with the old beast, I'd expect in the mid to upper thirties to low thirties if you got a twitchy right wrist.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Massive thirst? What kind of mpg are we talking about? I realize it's an 1100, but my old 1300 VTX got 40something.
                          Hi gui,
                          between 30 & 40 riding it solo. My rig gets the same 28mpg as our family Buick.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

lowering kit

You know they use to make a lowering kit for these years ago, i bought one and put it on the bike i had way back when, thats been about 25-30 years ago, bought it from a yamaha dealer, might be a shot in the dark to find one now.
                            1979 xs1100 f
                            142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
                            floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                            1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                            1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                            !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
                            when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

Thought I would update my thread since I finally got back to work on the old girl. I have a paint scheme in mind and almost painted the frame silver but common sense won over and I repainted it black. Fortunately it wasn't in bad shape at all so a simple cleanup and repaint gives it a nice 5' look.

Jim...<><

'78 XS1100E

Previous bikes:
                              1998 Honda Shadow ACE
                              2006 Honda VTX 1300R

Comment

Working...
                              X