My Second Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Second Bike

Since I don't have to set an example for the kids anymore (they are 21 and 25 now), I finally got the go ahead from the boss earlier this month, bit the bullet and bought my second motorcycle.

My first bike was a 1976 Yamaha 650 DOHC screamer I sold my brother in 1981 but I have always liked the looks of the Yamaha Specials. I also like buying cars not everyone and their brother own like this 67 Firebird Convertible which I purchased in 1984 with 37k original miles, restored it in 1988 and sold in 1991. More pictures of this and others

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n...20Convertible/

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n...0Camaro%20Z28/

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n...p%204%20speed/

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n...0Mustang%20GT/

So with the help of this forum I set my sights on acquiring a XJ1100. Craigslist was locating several that looked interesting in the Northeast and in the Northern Midwest but I don't think many were sold in Texas. Finally on Labor Day weekend I spotted one about 60 miles west of Austin (previously advertised in New Mexico) with 9800 miles. After speaking with the owner I rented a truck, made a day trip and with cash in hand the rest is history.

So here are a few of the first pictures
    fresh off the truck and ready to ride, the only thing I didn't notice was the broken plastic part of the throttle cable which I replaced the other night. Really looking forward to taking this up to Northern Arkansas in a couple weeks just in time to see some great fall colors and ride some awsome mountain highways.

Nice bike and yes the rarest of all the 1100 models. Although, soemthign about "ready to ride" and "fresh of the truck" seem like mutually exclusive terms.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Nice score man! Looks great
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

my second bike

fantastic score, great lookin XS special, rubber to the pavement and hang on tight. The Duke

Comment

Sweet! Just wish I had your riding season, mine's almost over
          '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerMike View Post
            Sweet! Just wish I had your riding season, mine's almost over
            same here...im from iowa..... oh and congates on the xj...
            _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
            1980 gs1000g "stock"
            1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
            2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Woof,

Congrats.
              Nice looking MAXIM you found.
              Ride Safe.

Bob
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I sold my brother in 1981
                How much did you get for him?
                Nice XJ.Nice Firebird too.
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

As someone once told me "Everyone likes a little ass but no one likes a smart ass" simple words to live by.

Thanks for the Firebird compliment it won a couple 1st place car show awards but driving it in North Texas without AC during mid-summer was miserable.

Comment

Originally posted by Woof View Post
                    As someone once told me "Everyone likes a little ass but no one likes a smart ass" simple words to live by.
                    Ahh, around here, that's par for the course! It's all in good fun. Welcome to the forum!
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                    X