Electrical connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical connectors

Does nyone know a source for the round, bullet style wire connectors that go in the plastic connectors of the wiring harness? I tried to pull one apart to clean and remove the wire so I could trim off the corroded part of the wire, and the wire end of the connector broke apart.

So I either need to find a source for those connectors, or I will end up getting a new housing and all and replace both sides with a non-stock connector. Thus becoming a future "PO" when someone needs to rpelace that switch ten ro so years from now.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

What connector are you talking about?
    If it's one for the fairing, they can be had from Radio Shack. The "small" ones in the multi pin connectors are harder to find, but geezer may be able to help. He has MOST of the connectors on the bike available.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Click Price list and scroll down: vintageconnections.com

FYI CraigVetter.com still has replacement fairing connectors.
      Last edited by rpgoerlich; 09-23-2010, 06:58 PM.
      Richard

Comment

Specifically, the black one on the left hand turn signal, headlight dimmer, horn switch. The side that connects to the bike harness has the male ends which is the part that was in bad shape on mine.

The pins themselves are about 2.4 mm in diameter and approximately 12.2 mm in length. Th length is the insertion portion, not including the part that goes down into the plastic connector.
        Last edited by DGXSER; 09-23-2010, 07:19 PM.

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Are you talking about the metal pins in the Molex connectors?

Radio Shack has them, but they don't sell the crimpers. Geezer does though.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

I'm not sure if there is a Fry's electronics in your area, or something similar, but I picked up a nice double crimper that does a really nice factory style crimp for like $12 or so. I used it on the connectors for my top box, and it did a really nice job, unfortunately I'm gonna be changing all that to something with a more positive lock to it. I keep kicking the wire when I get off the freakin bike, so I need something like milspec or so.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Once agian, (hate to beat a dead horse) but napa carries connectors and terminals of all sorts, Your local store may not have them on hand, but can order what you need, and their catalogs are illustrated so you can get a visual ID on the terminals you need.

I must be starting to sound like a commercial starring someone named Waltrip
              '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Do you work for NAPA?
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Well, Napa did not have anything close, their selection sucked to be honest. Radio Shack had more selection and they sucked to.

Wound up I went to Smythe and found something close enough. I had to drill out the holes in the housing for the bigger end barrel on the connectors I got, but they fit into the factory female ends.

So I am back to having a headlight on, but it is so dang dim you would think it was not even on. But hit the high beam and man it is like someone turned the sun back on!! Must be something eating up some resistance somewhere in the low beam circuit.

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

If you want a quality connector, try a industrial electronics supply. I've seen 'Tyco/Amp' brand connectors for sale at several, and with the exception of milspec or the horribly expensive 'Deutch' brand, are about the best I've personally seen. You can even get silicon seals for them to waterproof them. You can get 'em mail order/internet too. Prices aren't bad either...

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catal...686,22522&LG=1
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      Do you work for NAPA?
                      No, I do however do alot of buisiness with napa and have most of thier catalogs on hand at work, and so am very familiar with thier product availability.
                      I'm responsible for repair and maitainence of over 80 shuttle busses that average about 6000 miles per month each, so I do ALOT of buisiness with napa, and alot with AC Delco as well.
                      Many parts currently on my bike originated from a napa catalog ( headlamp relay, starter relay, fusebox, terminals, connectors, LED bulbs, oil filter, oil, etc...)
                      '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerMike View Post
                        No, I do however do alot of buisiness with napa and have most of thier catalogs on hand at work, and so am very familiar with thier product availability.
                        I'm responsible for repair and maitainence of over 80 shuttle busses that average about 6000 miles per month each, so I do ALOT of buisiness with napa, and alot with AC Delco as well.
                        Many parts currently on my bike originated from a napa catalog ( headlamp relay, starter relay, fusebox, terminals, connectors, LED bulbs, oil filter, oil, etc...)
                        Must be nice! "Yeah, this bus needs a new headlight relay. How soon can you have it delivered?"
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                        X